Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

water helps erosive esphagitis or not ?

I was diagonosed as Gerd two months ago, and started to take Protonix.
I can see the effect of the medicine at the beginning, it really reduced my pain at nignt. And I also saw some suggestions on the web drinking a lot of water may help.

So I tried to drink plenty of water in day time than before, (I drank little water everyday before, which I think it's a bad habit.) At first I think it may reduce the acid too, and indeed I felt better at the first days of drinking plenty of water. But now  I still can feel the pain at my esphagitis , the part between chest and throat, after taking protonix for 2 months. So I kind of think that water may not help heal the wound on esphagitis. Because my doctor told me the Protonix just reduce the acid, the wound or damage on the asphgitis has to take time to heal itself, just like a small wound on hand, it will be healed after some time by itself, even you don't put any medicine on.

So I think if let water goes ove the wound quite often, it may not help the wound to dry and heal.

Am I correct? Any suggestions?

And what can help to heal the wound on asphagitis?

Thanks a lot

Xiaowei
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you Andy, I think what you said is quite reasonable.

xiaowei
Helpful - 0
No matter what, you need to drink water. You will develop all kinds of problems if you don't. It's really critical.

As far as the Protonix and water my guess is that the espohagus is used to moisture. It's not meant to be a dry environment. Think of all the food and liquid that passes through, and it's lined with mucous. I don't think water would hurt the healing at all. I would think, if anything, it would keep it cleansed. Check with your doctor or pharmacist, but I think you're fine.

Good luck!  

andy
Helpful - 0
Help me please
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem