Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Upper Right Quadrant Pain

Please provide some advice.  I am a 40 year old female who is undergoing some SEVERE upper right quadrant pain. Started approx.
mid-afternoon, several hours after a light lunch, felt like someone had punched me in my sternum, radiates to the right quandrant to the right scapula area. Had light dinner fearful to eat anything heavy but also fearful that it is being caused by an empty stomach.  Took Zantac and Tums, Mylanta with no relief.  Up all night in severe pain, no change of position seemed to make it better. Last 24 hours painful.  Have not had anything to eat or drink for fear it is going to make things worse.  Had unbearable left side headache (perhaps due to lack of food/drink).  Took aspirin as I could not bear light, TV, even getting up out of bed.) Now, almost 48 hours later, constant, dull right quadrant pain although no where near what it felt like just a day ago.  Have not had anything to eat or drink for fear this will crop up again.  I have no history of heartburn, indigestion.  What should I do.  I can deal with the dull, right side pain,but this bout was debilitating, as a mother of four, I cannot afford for this to happen again....Please provide some advice. Thank you in advance.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
233190 tn?1278549801
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Surgeon has kindly answered your question in his comments below and I agree with his assessment.  

Being female, age 40 puts you in the age category where gallbladder symptoms would be more common.  I would start with an abdominal ultrasound to look for gallstones.

If that is negative, the next test I would suggest would be an upper GI series and testing for H Pylori to evaluate for any ulcers or esophageal reflux.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Helpful - 0
I just wanted to tell you that if it is your GB, and it sounds exactly like the attackes I had, before having mine removed, the surgery for it is very easy to recover from......I didnt want to have that surgery because I remembered my Mother and then my sister, years ago, being sick for weeks afterwards and having a pretty large incision.....I had it laproscopically, as most are now days, I spent the nite in the hosp. and came home next afternoon, was off prescription pain meds by day three and back to work within one week....As far as surgeries go I can't imagine one much easier to recover from as long as all goes well....Tessa
Helpful - 0
The diagnosis is gallbladder until proven otherwise. You need to see your doctor. Most gallbladder attacks go away, but since they are most often due to stones in the gallbladder, people who get attacks nearly always get more of them, and they can be worse. If it's your gallbladder, nowadays the surgery to remove it is an outpatient procedure (no overnight staty) in most cases, with a quick recovery and very low risk of side effects. People get along fine without a gallbladder, nearly always.
Helpful - 0
I also just had mine out last Tuesday.  I woke up at 7:30 that night and left the hospital by 10am the next day.  While I would think that no surgery is minor, this one truly is minimally invasive.  I've had relatively little pain.  It's definitely nothing to worry about.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem