Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Not Feeling Well - Worried - What More Can I do?

Question: I had a potentially very risky sexual encounter in early February of 2006. I am not very sexually active and I have been very worried about this incident since. About two weeks later I got a feeling of feverishness. Later on I would get occasional swollen glands under the arms but mostly in the neck. When I went to the doctor I was tested and found to have a new and active Epstein Barr infection (they ran a dual test of some sort). The level of infection was high also as per the test. They tested me again for ebv a month later and the level of the infection had fallen somewhat. I have had the following hiv tests since the incident:

7 week - elisa - negative
11 week - elisa - negative
12 week - pcr proviral dna
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
To keep people up to date, I got an OraQuick antibody test done a few days ago and it was negative. I am going to do one more test at 6 months and be done with the testing (even though I still don't feel right).
Helpful - 0
Monkeyflower: Thanks for the response. I am hoping all works out for the best. Have a great holiday (assuming you are in the US)!
Helpful - 0
79258 tn?1190630410
I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Fatigue sucks. However, you can totally put any thoughts of HIV to rest. Judging by your other comments, I'm guessing you're feeling a fair amount of anxiety about your exposure, and maybe your sexuality in general. I think that rather than pursue further testing, seek counseling instead.
Helpful - 0
As a clarification for people wondering why I have tested so much note that I have tested a lot because I both still don't feel good/right which makes me uneasy. I am drastically different from the person I was before this incident. I would be out every weekend cutting acres of grass, working on my yard and doing chores around the farm. Now, I am a different person. I feel tired, weak, anemic and unable to do a lot physicially. I am not bed-ridden mind you, but I am not the guy who everyone used to rely on to help them out and be there when they needed a hand. I feel as if  have aged 30+ years in a short period of time. The hopeful part is that I have improved somewhat and I'm hoping that what has transpired has been the result of Epstein Barr which has been known to be a chronic condition in some people lasting for months. I just wanted to post this info above though so people who might question my testing will understand that I am doing it because I have lost my vitality, my energy and my health in many respects. I'm not doing it because I'm obsessed with testing, at least not conciously.

Regards,

Ronnie
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
In general, no other medical condition significantly affects seroconversion to HIV, with the often cited (but not proved) possibilities of advanced cancer, chemotherapy, and the like.  I am unaware of any data that EBV or any other acute viral infection do so.  And if that happens, certainly there would be no delay of more than 3 months.

You don't have HIV.  Move on.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Oops, I mistakenly posted this question below on another thread, sorry:

Doctor: I won't post a follow up about symptoms per your request, but I do have another question. Is there any issue regarding the time it takes to test positive with an HIV antibody test if a person picked up another serious viral infection at the same time? As noted in my original post I appeared to pick up a first time Epstein Barr infection at the same time of my encounter I am worried about. I was just curious if there is any known effect on testing if a person has an active EBV infection.
Helpful - 0
Ok, I won't ask any what-if follow up questions. Maybe EBV was the primary issue all along and I just can't convince myself it is anything but HIV. I'm usually a level-headed person but I am totally frazzled by this subject. I think I'll join a monestary ;)

Thank you for your answer and have a great Independence Day!
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the encouragement. I have read that the official CDC policy is a 6 month window though.
Helpful - 0
Let me also add this:  (which I am SURE the Doctor will agree with)

http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/gap/pmtct/Trainer%20Manual/Adobe/Module_6TM.pdf

It says

"A negative result usually means that the person is not infected with HIV. In rare instance, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the 'window period". This is the period of time between the onset of infection with HIV and the appearance of detectable antibodies to the virus. THE WINDOW PERIOD LASTS FOR 4 TO 6 WEEKS but OCCASIONALLY up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at HIGH RISK who initally test negative should be RETESTED at 3 months after expsoure to confirm results."

This is RIGHT off the CDC testing manual. Hope you trust your results now!!!!
Helpful - 0
Let me just tell you that you are negative.  If you need further reassurance then test at 6 months past expure, but its not going to change you negative result!  YOU ARE NEGATIVE YOU ARE NEGATIVE!!  Congrats!  :)
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
As I have said innumerable times on this forum, symptoms NEVER are a reliable indicator of recently acquired HIV infection. Symptoms are ALWAYS much less valid that HIV teesting.  Your test results prove without doubt that whatver is causing your symptoms, it isn't HIV.  You ahve been overtested already.  Discuss your symptoms with your health care provider, but do not request any further HIV testing. You don't have it.  (On top of all that, your symptoms don't even remotely suggest HIV anyway.)

Please no "yes but" or "what if" follow up questions.  There is no additional information that would change my assessment or recommendation.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.