Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

depersonalization

I have anxiety and depersonalization.  I am on Effexor 37.5 mgs. three times a day and am on clonazepam 0.5 mgs. two times a day. I am wondering if the clonazepam could cause the depersonalization.  I have been on it for 4 yrs. and the depersonalization started about 2 1/2 yrs. ago.  I have heard a lot about Paxil and was wondering if that would make a difference or would help.  I have also had two sessions of hypnotherapy.  Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Geri
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

Thanks for the advice and kind words. Yes, I now have a competent addiction psychiatrist. I do listen to music often as it helps calm my nerves. I will beat the alcohol problem one of these days, it just takes time and persistance.
Helpful - 0
Barbara,

I hope that you have found a competent Dr. that can help you with your problem.  Depersonalization is something that at times can make you feel that you want to drink but I did not want to create another problem.  Drinking does not solve anything as when you come down from the drinking the problem is still there.  I am sure that if you hang in there you will find that your temper will change.  Try doing some deep breathing exercises and treat yourself to a massage (they work wonders).  You may also want to get some calming CDs like the sounds of the Tropical Rain Forest. It is very relaxing.  

Good luck
Geri
Helpful - 0
Geri,

Depersonalization is characterized by a feeling of detachment or estrangement from one's self.  The individual may feel like an automaton or as if he or she is living in a dream or a movie.  Depersonalization can be a component of anxiety disorder such as panic disorder or post traumatic stress disorder.  Many other mental disorders, including depersonalition disorder, and substance use/withdrawal can have depersonaliztion as part of the picture.  I am not aware of Klonopin be a causative agent but you could discuss a taper with your psychiatrist to see if this would be helpful.  Treating your anxiety disorder should be the main focus whether it is with Effexor or Paxil inaddition to psychotherapy (and adjunctive benzodiazepines).  Please discuss these concerns further with your treating psychiatrist.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM
Helpful - 0

I am not sure if the Klonopin can cause depersonalization but I
am currently on 1 1/4 mg every four hours for anxiety and alcohol withdrawal. I have found over the past month that I don't care about anything at all and even find myself more violent feeling than I used to be. Drinking used to control my temper most of the time but now since I have been trying to stop and even went through in-patient detox recently my temper flares to the point that I worry I may kill someone if they bother me too much.

I don't know if the Klonopin plays a role or not in that but I did not feel that way when I first started to withdraw from alcohol back last October when I was only using 10 mg of Librium and mega doses of vitamins. Of course I was too sick to be violent as I was having frequent seizures and DT's from the incorrect out-patient treatment at that time.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Depression/Mental Health Forum

Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area