Email this page to a friend
Symptoms Associated with Headaches
Treatments for Headaches
- Tension headache treatment:
- Medication: Acetaminophen (Tylenol), aspirin or ibuprofen can help treat headaches. Make sure to not give aspirin to children as it can cause Reye's syndrome, a rare but potentially life-threatening disease.
- Migraine treatment:
- Medications:A variety of prescription medications can help treat migraines. Consult with your doctor about which option may be best for you.
- Specific medications: ergotamine; dihydroergotamine; ergotamine with caffeine (Cafergot); sumatriptan (Imitrex); rizatriptan (Maxalt); eletriptan (Relpax); almotriptan (Axert); zolmitriptan (Zomig); isometheptene (Midrin)
Home Remedies for Headaches
- Rest: Keeping your eyes closed while your head is supported can sometimes help your headache.
- Cool cloth over your face and eyes
How to Prevent Headaches
- Keep a headache diary: Keep track of when your headaches occurred and what you ate in the past 24 hours, your sleeping habits, any stress, the length of the headache, and how you made it stop. Keeping an organized list of when headaches occur can help you find and avoid triggers. Keep track of your headaches online our headache tracker for free!
Katherine Solem is a health writer and editor living in San Francisco.
Published: July 20, 2011
- Get advice from other pain sufferers in our pain management forum
- Not sure if your headache might be something more? Use our symptom checker to find out!
- Keep track of your pain with our online pain tracker