ADD / ADHD Community
7 year old with ADHD
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

7 year old with ADHD

my son is 7 years old and has adhd,after years of doing all the things we were told to do-behavior tech-counslers,theripy etc.my son have now been put on adderall (adderrall) 10 xr ,that had no effect so the doc said up it a little bit so now he is taking 20mgs a day xr-still no difference in his behavior.do we up the meds again.any advise
Related Discussions
  • Adderall (7 replies):
    My son has recently been diagnosed with Gifted/ADHD. H...[more]
  • Ritalin (3 replies):
    Ran out of my Ritalin for my ADHD 2 days ago and must sa...[more]
  • adhd (2 replies):
    I have adhd and abused adderall for the last 6 years. I ...[more]
  • does ritalin work right away (4 replies):
    i have anxiety,depression,some add and hyperchrodic..was...[more]
  • adderall (12 replies):
    hi, my boys both have adhd. they just put them on adder...[more]
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank

My experience is that some meds take time to have an effect. Talk to his Doctor about what is happening, talk to his teachers and school counselor. He's young. Don't try to change too many things at once, keep a journal, behavior chart if needed. That way you truly know if it's the meds or something else.

My son was started on Ritalin in Kindergarten and we saw an IMMEDIATE positive change (we had known from birth that he'd end up on something and we waited until 12 weeks before K was ending to start the meds. We tried all sorts of other interventions to no avail, he literally did a years worth of "learning" in the last 12 weeks).  When he moved from Kindergarten to 1st grade, he was switched to Concerta because it is time-released. It took a little while for him to adjust but he's done well on it.

We find that Spring is when he seems to need an increase in dosage. He still uses Ritalin if he has an evening event that needs him to focus.

I would talk w/ your doctor etc ... has he been evaluated?
Blank
861943_tn?1239253130
The medication I first put my son on took about three months to truly do its job. We went and seen a different dr. she put him on a fast acting medication. We defiantly went over the medication and options.
Blank
Adderall is not the only medication.  You might you doctor to try a different medicine such as Ritalin or Metadate CD.  These are still stimulants, but in another family of stimulants. Good luck.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
1253584_tn?1332881554
Blank
ang_811 commented on ang_811's status
Jul 26
982214_tn?1372877485
Blank
krichar commented on beddajess's status