Adult with ODD
I know they are closely related & this is an ADHD forum......
I have an an adult friend with ODD.....& am looking to learn more about this
I have a touch of it, myself......
I know the basics of it....
Can anyone put me on the right path to a half decent forum or article regarding this??
Hi, searched a couple of links for you to read. One is from ************
http://************.com/disorders/oppositional-defiant-disorder-symptoms/ and here is one from Mayo on ODD http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oppositional-defiant-disorder/DS00630/DSECTION=symptoms
Hope these help
Thanks Brian
At first thanks for your good post. I sure that BrianJo's advice is good for you.
Good luck!
   I think a very important fact to recognize is that ODD is a very significant coexisting disorder with ADHD.  In "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley (p.53) she sites it as a coexisting disorder 33 percent of the time.    Outside of learning problems, that is the highest coexisting disorder listed.    Thus, one would think that perhaps that ADHD is the trigger and learning to cope with ADHD would help one also deal with ODD.  Thus, I would certainly look into the chances of having had undiagnosed ADD or ADHD as a child/adult.  And if so, would work on ADHD coping methods.
  I have references on that if needed
    I have included several references that touch on this relationship.

"Common adult ADD / ADHD symptoms: Emotional difficulties

Many adults with ADD/ADHD have a hard time managing their feelings, especially when it comes to emotions like anger or frustration. Common emotional symptoms of adult ADD/ADHD include:

sense of underachievement
    doesn’t deal well with frustration
    easily flustered and stressed out
    irritability or mood swings

trouble staying motivated
    hypersensitivity to criticism
    short, often explosive, temper
    low self-esteem and sense of insecurity"   from
http://helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_adult_symptoms.htm

"Overall, the results "suggest the need for services and treatment strategies that specifically address the risks for violence and promote healthy intimate relationships for youths with CD and ADHD," the study authors write."    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/732349

"The investigators state that ADHD "should no longer be viewed only as a disorder primarily affecting the behavior and learning of children, but also as a major health condition that confers increased risk" for mortality, social adversity in the form of criminal behavior, persistence of ADHD into adulthood, and increased rates of other mental health problems.'    from
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/780202?src=nl_topic

Hope this helps.  Plenty more where these came from.  Best wishes.

Common emotional symptoms of adult ADD/ADHD include:

sense of underachievement
    doesn’t deal well with frustration
    easily flustered and stressed out
    irritability or mood swings

trouble staying motivated
    hypersensitivity to criticism
    short, often explosive, temper
    low self-esteem and sense of insecurity"

hello sandman, and thanks for your response to my post.  copied above are symptoms listed in your post.  it almost knocks me down to see these.  i have every single one of these symptoms.
i see my new doc tomorrow afternoon and will present to him my thoughts and feelings and hopefully he will listen and wisely discern what is really going on inside.  he came highly recommended to me by a friend who was seeing him at one time.  
in my community, as in most i guess, the mentally ill who have little resources are farmed into the county system where, in my experience, staff neither listens nor helps.  i feel we had all been prejudged, labeled, and put into neat little boxes that we could not talk our way out of.  i apologize if this sounds harsh, but indeed it is my experience.  finally, after years of this and continually going downhill, i am going to open my wallet and see if something better is out there for me. (actually, a very caring friend is the one opening the wallet.  thank you, friend!)  
will post tomorrow if i can (if not, then later) and report the latest in my quest for peace and sanity.
i thank you, sandman.  you have been very helpful.
deb
Thank you everyone for your input!!!
   Hey, how is it going?  Any results from your last visit?  
      Hopefully, peace and sanity is going your way.