ADD / ADHD Community
Any connection between vyvance and kidney function?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

My 17 year old daughter began taking vyvance last school year.  She started with 30 mg (to little) and then tried 50mg (to much).  They now have a 40mg which she started the beginning of this school year.  About 2 weeks into the school year she was feeling sick to her stomach, headaches, etc, nothing new, BUT then she started feeling light headed and very weak. A trip to the pediatrician showed very high blood pressure and protein & blood in her urine.  Over the next 2 weeks we stopped the vyvance and had couple appointments with Kidney specialist every thing returned to normal.  She is back on the vyvance and starting to feel sick again.  We have not been to the doc yet, but her urine is becoming very discolored again (brownish).  We will follow up w/the doctor but was wondering if any one else had experienced similar problems.  It seems odd that it would be vyvance since she took it last year without incident, but it is very suspecious that her symptoms are returning.  Also of note, blood test showed a raised level of her creatinine at 1.1, but came down to 0.9 after the two weeks with out vyvance.   She also takes a depo shot every 3 months, but the doctor did not think it should be a problem.
Definatly check again with your Doctor ,did you ask about the side effects of Vyanse? you could put it into your search engine as there are side effects with all these drugs as I am sure you are aware.Hope she is better soon.
Perhaps discuss alternative medications for ADD.  Sounds like Vyvanse is not the best choice for your daughter.  Perhaps Straterra, a non-stimulant medication for ADD, would be a option to try.  
Avatar n tn
does she drink a lot of caffeine?  Too much caffeine and calcium cause kidney problems.  Check with the doctor to see how much calcium she should be getting each day.  She may be getting too much thru certain foods.  Cut the caffeine, switch to caffeine free soda if she can't quit soda altogether.  Also increase the amount of water intake as water will cleanse the kidneys.
I am a diabetic with a small amount of kidney disease setting in....reading on the internet I find these small blurbs about possible damage vyvance can hurt the kidneys and liver as well....but only short comments and I can't find a follow-up on this being fact or some speedhead out of a basement if his moms house making dumb assumptions
I tend to put vyvance on my tongue to increase its productivity...so to say...and YES is a buzz too....anybody got some founded info I can get before I turn my organs to mush?
krichar commented on pb95's status
hansen20 commented on Belle313's status
TTC2006 commented on photo