ADD / ADHD Community
Buspar for ADHD in children

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Buspar for ADHD in children

My 12 year old daughter has ADHD and has taken all kinds of deffrent meds to treat it. She has had either allergic reactions to them or other types of reactions. I came across some info about buspar being used to treat ADHD. I would like to know if this is a medication that I should try or what should I try at this point?
    Well,  Wikipedia says that it is used for "Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) of mild to moderate intensity, with or without panic attacks (it is not generally considered to be effective against other types of anxiety disorders such as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and social phobia, with or without agoraphobia).
# Augmentation of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) therapy against depression and/or anxiety."
    Frankly, if she has anxiety, I would try and deal with the cause which is probably ADHD. The best way to deal with ADHD is to really understand it.  One book I have been recommending to do so is the, "ADD / ADHD Answer Book by Susan Ashley.
  Not sure where you are getting your information for meds, but if you haven't done so, I would look into a pediatric psychiatrist who specializes in ADHD.  They will hopefully, also take the time to show you other things that you can do for your daughter besides just meds.  Good Luck

I am so sorry .

Have the Doctors checked your daughters blood levels to make sure they are where they should be ,like her Liver and her thyroid and sugar and Kidney ?They should be checking her blood levels every 6months or at least once a year.

If they have not done a EEG yet tell them you want one done to make sure her brain is working Normal.And also to make sure all the drugs have not caused any damage.And don't let them tell you there is no need for them .She is your Daughter and you are the only one who can fight for her.

God bless ans I would try giving Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12 and Omega 3-6-9 Vitamins along with a Child Multivitamin every day.
Still curious why blood levels should be checked every 6 months.  I know some things that they check blood levels for-----------  but I'm curious why you say that Dollyn.  

I assume that you are seeing a child psychiatrist?  This is really important when choosing medications for your child and especially since she is having reactions to them.  They use medications off label frequently and you'll see anecdotal information for such.  To get a new indication takes years and millions of dollars and children are the least studied group there is due to liability.  Most people do not want to sign their child up for a trial of something they are just in study phases of.  So, your best advice on Buspar for your daughter would be a psychiatrist that has a large practice of children with various disorders including adhd and anxiety.  I agree that you will have to address the adhd though as the anxiety is probably co morbid and not the root problem.

Always remember that you are your child's advocate.  Educating yourself and talking about things with all professionals involved with your daughter give her the best chance for success.  What about talk therapy/behavioral therapy as well?  Would a good psychotherapist be able to help her?  Good chance.  I wish you lots of luck!
The reason I say that a person blood levels should be checked every 6 months or at least 1 a year .is because the Doctors have always told me they need to be done to make sure that the drugs are not do any Damage to the Liver and Kidneys .These drugs can tend to do that.  hope this helps.

even my son blood levels get checked because of the Seizures Medicine also.