ADD / ADHD Community
Concerta Vs Strattera

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Concerta Vs Strattera

My daughter is nearly 11 years old and has been taking Concerta (now on 36mg) since March. The doctor recommended a switch to Strattera for the reason that it works 24 hours (Concerta is effective for only 12 hours) and will help my daughter concentrate more. I have no idea whether Strattera is a better alternative, can anyone tell me if this is true? Besides, Strattera seems to have a lot of side effects (though Concerta and other drugs also have), and can't be taken with Zoloft that my daughter is taking (as I read from the Internet).

I read that when taking Strattera, one should not eat chocolate or consume tea/coffee. Is it true? My daughter reacts strongly against this because as a kid she can't accept that chocolate is not allowed (though she does not eat this frequently).
     I googled strattera and zoloft and most of what i found says that it is ok to take them together.  (you should also do the same, so you can see what I read).  
    Not sure where you read about the chocolate, but that would be news to me.  She really shouldn't be consuming enough tea or coffee at her age to make any difference.  But that is something to ask your doctor.
  You can google concerta and strattera and see the comparisons.  There is a difference.  But all of these meds should be adjusted to the patient and I would hope that is what your doctor is doing.  Best wishes!
My son started on Strattera for awhile before concerta.
But grew out of it, he is now 12. We have been on Concerta for a few years now and just switched up to the biggest dose.

We though also give me child a night pill for bedtime as the 12hour concerta pill is plenty.

But make sure you get your child's ekg checks every 4-months!
I can say this till I am blue in the face .Get an EEG done this will check your childs brain to make sure they are not having Seizures. I know what you are going to say. I use to feel the same way till we found out my son was having seizures in his sleep.And now he has more of them . you can also look on youtube and see what seizures look like there are like 30 different kind of seizures . and many people i know whos children have seizues they were told first that there child had add and adhd or at least one of them . I if you look at the side effects Concerta can cause Seizures also. Omega 3-96-9 and Vitamin B6 and B12 can help with learning .

a child shouldn't be on those hard drugs and just think about what those drugs are doing to your childs brain.