ADD / ADHD Community
Developmental differences between range 14-18

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Hello I would like to know where I can find documentation showing that there are developmental differences between a 14 year old and an eighteen year old. Mainly what I am looking for is proof/facts that a 14 year old will not be as coordinated as an eighteen year old, if that is indeed true.
Thank you.
   With the number of Olympic gymnasts who are in the 14 year old age bracket, it might be hard to prove.  There certainly can be differences in strength usually related to growth (puberty onset), and experience (and thus skill levels).  But In my opinion, coordination differences are minimal.
When there is a great growth spurt the child can become very awkward. This resolves itself.
   Very good point by alllmymarbles.  I have seen kids go from extremely awkward to great athletics in the space of two years because they got used to their new bodies.  A lot of the answer to this question really depends on where you are coming from with your question as there are lots of variables.
My son is a freshman in high school and is in the school marching band. This is his first year to learn marching. What I was looking at is (besides experience) could there be other reasons why freshman have a harder time learning the marching drills versus the older students?
  Congratulations to him on joining the band.  It will keep him occupied and help him make new friends.
  Marching while playing an instrument is a lot like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time.  Its not as easy as it looks.  Except for other freshmen, all the other players have had at least one year of practice.  There is no way for a freshman to do as well!  If you are concerned, you might see how other freshmen are doing.  If your son has been able to maintain decent grades in school (showing the ability to memorize), then his problems are probably all related to experience.  I am guessing that he also feels frustrated.  I am sure that the errors he makes are noticeable (maybe only to him), which compounds the way he feels. I don't know if any of the other band members could provide extra help on the weekend (kind of like tutoring?). Be supportive and remind him how good he will feel next year when the freshmen are struggling.  
  Hope this helps!