ADD / ADHD Community
Does concerta cause uncontrolable bowel movements

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

I have an 8 year old son that can not control his bowel movements. He's always soiling in his pants and when I ask him why he says it just comes out. He's been on Concerta for a little over a year now and I'm not sure if this is what's causing the problem. Does anyone have the same problem?

My son is on concerta and he isnt showing any signs of out ofcontrol bowls i would get him to a doctor cause it is not a side affect to make sure there isnt something else going on with his intestines

Hope the best for you
    You also might try and figure out when it is happening.  A lot of kids don't like to poop at school (for a variety of reasons) and try and hold it.  When they finally get to the point where they realize it won't work, they don't always make it to the bathroom in time.
     By the way, if it is happening in school, you also might want to check out his teacher's bathroom policies - sometimes they can be really stupid.
My son is 9.  He has been on Concerta 54 mg daily for almost 4 years.  About 4 or 5 months ago we started noticing some slight tics with his neck.  He would jerk his head to the side sporadically for no reason, usually when he was tired or anxious.  He also has the same problem with his bowels as your son.  It has gotten a lot worse lately.  I started about 6 months ago but was very infrequent.  But, over the last few month it has been happening several times a week.  He says that all of a sudden he has to go to the bathroom.  Even if he goes right away, he is often too late.  We see his doctor on monday, I plan to address this with him.  I'll let you know what the results are.
My 9 year old autistic son has been on concerta 54mg for several months now and he is all of a sudden having accidents in his pants too. It is getting to be an all of the time thing and I came on here to see if anyone else may be having the same problem. I do not see it on the side effects list for this med but I do see loss of appetite and with my son I see just the opposite, he wants to eat al of the time and he doesn't seem to get full very easy at all. He has gained a lot of weight being on this med. Does anyone else have this problem and has anyone had their child checked for the accidents they are having with their bowls? What did your doctor say could be the problem? I am having him checked because this is just not normal for him to start doing this all of a sudden.