ADD / ADHD Community
Fish oil

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Fish oil

I have heard that fish oil can help children with ADHD. Has anyone one heard of it or used it? I don't want to put my son on medication I have seen what it does to him.
Yes I have an also that a Multi- Vitamin with B Complex and antioxicants has the equal efficacy to Ritalin.
As a follow up, it is great you are going this route and looking for Natural ways to help your child, read some of the other threads, children seem to be put on Drugs to help them do homework and Teachers are recommending after 2 mis- behaviors that children' may"have ADD and AHDD, I am quoting something here written by reputa ble child psychiatrist Eizabeth J. Roberts "Parents and Teachers today seem to believe that any Boy who wriggles in his seat and wilfully defies his Teacher has AHDD Attention Hyperactivity Disorder)
Do you know where I can buy a children's form of fish oil. My son can't swallow a hard pill. Thank you for you advice.

Leona
I am not certain but I will find out, I will go online and as I have errands to run will ask the local Herbalists. There is so much stuff about this and a lot of Natural Help, there are Forums you can join on Natural Remedies.
PS   Will he take it in liquid form as I know there is Cod Liver oil it has always been taken on a spoon, it may taste Yucky to him though, possibly they make a kids capsule now.
There is a ton of stuff online about this, I asked my daughter who lives in England and there is a lot going on there because of the misdiagnosing of children and the part the schools have had in this ,so hopefully a lot of Moms are looking for Natural alternatives,put this into your search engine it tell syou a lot of detail and where to get it.
I gave my daughter Efalex. please search for this product on the internet. It has strong lemon smell, buat the taste is still yuky.
Just wanted to let you all know that I found the fish oil in a chewable pill at the Walgreens near me. It is in the spare of a starburst and it has the taste of the orange ones. I started him on them this morning and he loves them. He is taking that and a chewable Vitamin C table. If anyone would like to know about them they are the Dietary Supplement Finest Natural Fish Oil and it 120mg in a chewables. It comes in a bag instead of a bottle. Thank you all for your advice. Please keep him in your prayers that this works and he can start learning like the other kids his age. I will let you all know how it works.

Leona
I just heard that the EPA Omega-3 is preferred for ADHD over the DHA Omega-3.  Does anyone have any info on this?
Im following this threat would like to find out more about Natural treatment - has anyone tried the Sue Dengate dieet in her book Fedup - and has anyone had good positive outcomes without medication?

I have a 5 year old that the teacher is pushing for Ritalin - he is under the care of a Behavioral Pediatrician - but i don't want to go this route - if push comes to shove i will take him out of the school.

This teacher should not be pushing for Ritalin it is totaly inappropiate ,Elizabeth J. Roberts a Medical doctor and child psychiatrist states that Mis-informed Teachers ,and , parents using the internet diagnose their children and hurried Doctors are all part of a complex system that drives the currant practise of mis-diagnosing and medicating children.Also stated is that the Food supplement treatment of ADHD may be of equal efficacy to Ritalin, All children and especially those with learning difficulties, benefit from Multiple Vitamin with BComplex and vitamin C and antioxidants, also fish oil.There are many site out there to read regarding this , Breggin.com is one.2 years ago the FDA called for stronger warning labels for stimulant DrugsAdderall, Dexedrine and Concerta and Ritalin/
IMHO, and please don't take this as me being angry- Read it as light heartedly as possible.

A) I cannot imagine anyone telling me that they can diagnose a 5 year old child with ADHD unless it is so fargone and so obvious that even the parent could tell. If a 5 year old has ADHD you will have no doubt in your mind, and even then I would not medicate a child unless absolutely necessary.

B) Any psychiatrist trying to treat a person struggling with ADHD by replacing Ritalin with fish oil should be evaluated herself. I'm really holding back here. Fish oil? Wasn't so long ago that people poured butter on burns. By all means give them fish oil and maybe it will help in the long run, but please do not allow someone to coerce you into believing that fish oil is better than science. Accupuncture, kinoki foot pads, and intestinal flushes are all a wash and I put fish oil into that group.

You can by a product called flax seed oil at major grocery in the organic sections this can be put into food after the food has been cooked, but flax oil alone will not work, there are also foods that children with adhd should avoid like preservatives and red, yellow and blue food coloring. however these do not work for everyone
Fish oil and other supplements , are a lot better than the powerful drugs and the other post is  incorrect, these supplements have been shown in studies to have the same efficacy as Ritalin,you can read it for your self, the Natural way is best for your child and focusing on the positive side of a childs behavior ,Use your own gut feeling ,some people would have you take every big drug out there, the children on them have dreadful side effects and their behavior is worse and sometimes violent.
I am not here to argue, but:
http://senpartnership.com/p_o3.php

Furthermore, anyone who has taken a college level Statistics course will know that a study of 110 kids over 3 months proves absolutely nothing. The link provided compares the "study" to those conducted for Anti-Aging creams.

Nobody is saying "Don't give the kid fish oil". All I am simply stating is that it sounds like a cureall that needs much more research and it should not take the place of medication unless it does infact work for the child or more research is done.
Oh and just to clarify,

I think it's great to have 2 sides of the story. Two completely different opinions shed light on both sides of topic. I know I'm new here and it's hard to convey tone through text! ;-)
You have your own opinions, but I have started my 12 year old son on fish oil and Vitamin C tables and I won't stop. He is not getting angry like he use to and the teachers & I can both see a difference in him. I was told by the teachers just a month ago that he had the mind of a first grader. He wasn't able to read or even write where it could be read by anyone. Now he is reading and writing better. He was counting by fives now which only a week ago he could only count to fifty by ones. From age five I have tried to teach him how to ride a bike, but it was impossible to do. He learn how to ride a 10 speed in one day just three days ago. Before he would get upset if he couldn't do something and give up trying. Now he does it until he gets it right. He is setting still in class and paying attention now. I am sorry if you think I am wrong in giving my son something natural instead of the hard drugs that could mess up his body for life or even kill him in the end. I seen what the hard drugs can do to a child, because I had my son on Adderall (adderrall) XR. I have seen first hand the change in him and I will never stop what I am doing. I love my son very much and I am going to do everything I can to keep him for a long time. You can give your children the hard drugs then set back and watch them go through the side affects from them, but I am going to watch my son get better. I was told by my son's doctor to do this and he knows what is best. I wish you the best on all your children.

Leona
You will be forever glad you did use this way and try the supplements ,you know its the same with Anxiety  some people really believe the only way is to take powerful mind altering drugs that actually make them worse, there are posts and stories on Medhelp with people asking for help to get off themas they had dreadful side effects,  and Parents saying I have my child on Concerta, he is getting nightmares and doesnt sleep and is saying he is going to hurt everyone.But Hey, guess what ,hes not getting Fs at school anymore and Teacher says he sits still all day long and is a good" boy' As for compairing putting your child on this stuff ,when very often there is a lack of Parenting skills , to Diabetes or Heart desease is ridiculous,they could have  solved the  problem of why their children were acting out or were unhappy ,There is no comparison to be made.I do too believe it is good to have dialogue as I am sure whatever our feelings on the matter we have the children;s welfare at heart we simply differ in the way we look at it.
My 8 year old stepson has ADHD. when he moved in with us we put him on fish oil and attentive child (from GNC) they both helped immensely with the hyperactivity but not enough with the attention side of it. He was doing so bad in class at school that we are now trying Strattera. its only been two weeks and only a little improvement so far.
I haven't read all replies to your post but to your childrens fish oil question... there is a health store down the road from me that self fish oil as a fruit smoothy. you take one tablespoon a day. I apparently tastes really good too. maybe try the health store around you.
Wow a really healthy ,Fishy , Smoothie , thanks nunu you lightened the heated subject with something Sweet and good for us, now I am going to run out to try it.
margypops,
I am unsure if you are being sarcastic or not. it  it is fruit smoothie  flavor and doesn't taste like fish at all. it was made for children in mind that can not get a huge fish oil tablet down. I am unsure who manufactures it but it is about $20.00 a bottle. you can also get a flax seed one as well.
It was not said sarcastically it was was humor, heard of it?,I havent a sarcastic bone in my body and certainly anyone who has read my posts would know I do not take the welfare of children lightly enough. to be sarcastic, you seem to have a problem.
I can not believe the difference in my son after changing his eating habits and giving him the fish & the vitamin C tables. I will never go back to giving my son the hard drugs.
I have seen the big difference in him.
Thats great news I hope others read your story,  and do the same or at least give it a try.
I agree! I am happy that it works for your son!
My last word I promise, I was in a health food store today called' Sprouts' great store tons of supplements and great knowledgeable people, giving away samples, I of course took a few, one I have this instant tried, it is called' Coromega'  it is an Omega 3 fish oil, absolutly delicious ,it was only a small sachet or I swear I would have had it in a jelly sandwich with the peanut.spread!  Hey and almost as good as Nunu's Smoothy.Wanted to share it as I feel kids would also enjoy it.
funny to hear the word Sachet... My husband teases me for using that word because they don't over here... but he teases me for saying a lot of different words that they don't use over here.
I went to Vitamin shoppe today... we decided to try the Omega-3.6.9 Junior lemon flavor chewable soft gels. my step daughter who cant get the big fish oil tablets down like my stepson can said she likes them. I didn't tell her the flavor of them just to see what her reaction would be and when she finally popped the soft gel she said "Mmmmm lemon".  
I buy the coromega from GNC. It's pudding that comes in small little pouches. GNC carries the orange and chocolate  flavored pudding.  

The answer to your question is a BIG YES!

I have been dealing with what they now call ADD or ADHD my whole life and taking many different medications all with side effects some worse than others.

At the request of my family because of the effects to my personality that these drugs have had I started researching alternatives. I was lucky enough to one day be reading in my local health food store Elliott's and strike up a conversation with one of the people who worked there. They had also been dealing with ADD personally and told me about what they had found and that it worked great for them.  I am now taking DMAE and DHA vitamin compounds and they have helped a lot.  Go to a local high quality health food store and they should have them.  Good Luck!
I was reading some of the post and someone mentioned Attentive Child from GNC.I did buy this product and stopped using it when I read that the magnesium aspartate can cause many problems. I cant remember all .....one of the was seizures, I think another one was Parkinson, If your using this product you may want to run a search on magnesium aspartate.

While using this product I didn't notice that he was any more attentive. He also became very short fused. Maybe he doesn't have a magnesium deficiency
thats good to know. we stopped using it just to see how he was just on fish oil but notice he is more hyper. I was going to go and get some more because he seemed better with it but ill look into your advice first... Thanks!

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/nutrasweet_scandal.htm

Aspartame is the technical name for the brand names, NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, and Equal-Measure. Aspartame was discovered by accident in 1965, when James Schlatter, a chemist of G.D. Searle Company was testing an anti-ulcer drug. Aspartame was approved for dry goods in 1981 and for carbonated beverages in 1983. It was originally approved for dry goods on July 26, 1974, but objections filed by neuroscience researcher Dr John W. Olney and Consumer attorney James Turner in August 1974 as well as investigations of G.D. Searle's research practices caused the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to put approval of aspartame on hold (December 5, 1974). In 1985, Monsanto purchased G.D. Searle and made Searle Pharmaceuticals and The NutraSweet Company separate subsidiaries.

Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death as recently disclosed in a February 1994 Department of Health and Human Services report.(1) A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include: Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

According to researchers and physicians studying the adverse effects of aspartame, the following chronic illnesses can be triggered or worsened by ingesting of aspartame:(2) Brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, parkinson's disease, alzheimer's, mental retardation, lymphoma, birth defects, fibromyalgia, and diabetes.

Aspartame is made up of three chemicals: Aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol. The book, Prescription for Nutritional Healing, by James and Phyllis Balch, lists aspartame under the category of "chemical poison." As you shall see, that is exactly what it is.

ASPARTIC ACID (40% OF ASPARTAME)

Dr Russell L. Blaylock, a professor of Neurosurgery at the Medical University of Mississippi, recently published a book thoroughly detailing the damage that is caused by the ingestion of excessive aspartic acid from aspartame. [Ninety nine percent of monosodium glutamate 9MSG) is glutamic acid. The damage it causes is also documented in Blaylock's book.] Blaylock makes use of almost 500 scientific references to show how excess free excitatory amino acids such as aspartic acid and glutamic acid in our food supply are causing serious chronic neurological disorders and a myriad of other acute symptoms.(3)

SUMMARY OF HOW ASPARTATE (AND GLUTAMATE) CAUSE DAMAGE

Aspartate and glutamate act as neurotransmitters in the brain by facilitating the transmission of information from neuron to neuron. Too much aspartate or glutamate in the brain kills certain neurons by allowing the influx of too much calcium into the cells. This influx triggers excessive amounts of free radicals which kill the cells. The neural cell damage that can be caused by excessive aspartate and glutamate is why they are referred to as "excitotoxins." They "excite" or stimulate the neural cells to death.

Aspartic acid is an amino acid. Taken in its free form (unbound to proteins) it significantly raises the blood plasma level of aspartate and glutamate. The excess aspartate and glutamate in the blood plasma shortly after ingesting aspartame or products with free glutamic acid (glutamate precursor) leads to a high level of those neurotransmitters in certain areas of the brain.

The blood brain barrier (BBB) which normally protects the brain from excess glutamate and aspartate as well as toxins 1) is not fully developed during childhood, 2) does not fully protect all areas of the brain, 3) is damaged by numerous chronic and acute conditions, and 4) allows seepage of excess glutamate and aspartate into the brain even when intact.

The excess glutamate and aspartate slowly begin to destroy neurons. The large majority (75%+) of neural cells in a particular area of the brain are killed before any clinical symptoms of a chronic illness are noticed. A few of the many chronic illnesses that have been shown to be contributed to by long-term exposure excitatory amino acid damage include:

Multiple sclerosis (MS), ALS, memory loss, hormonal problems, hearing loss, epilepsy, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, hypoglycemia, AIDS dementia, brain lessions, and neuroendocrine disorders.

The risk to infants, children, pregnant women, the elderly, and persons with certain chronic health problems from excitotoxins are great. Even the Federation of American Societies For Experimental Biology (FASEB), which usually understates problems and mimics the FDA party-line, recently stated in a review that "it is prudent to avoid the use of dietary supplements of L-glutamic acid by pregnant women, infants, and children. The Existence of evidence of potential endocrine responses, i.e., elevated cortisol and prolactin, and differential responses between males and females, would also suggest a neuroendocrine link and that supplemental L-glutamic acid should be avoided by women of childbearing age and individuals with affective disorders."(4) Aspartic acid from aspartame has the same deleterious effects on the body as glutamic acid.

The exact mechanism of acute reactions to excess free glutamate and aspartate is currently being debated. As reported to the FDA, those reactions include:(5) Headaches/migraines, nausea, abdominal pains, fatigue (blocks sufficient glucose entry into brain), sleep problems, vision problems, anxiety attacks, depression, and asthma/chest tightness.

One common complaint of persons suffering from the effect of aspartame is memory loss. Ironically, in 1987, G.D. Searle, the manufacturer of aspartame, undertook a search for a drug to combat memory loss caused by excitatory amino acid damage. Blaylock is one of many scientists and physicians who are concerned about excitatory amino acid damage caused by ingestion of aspartame and MSG. A few of the many experts who have spoken out against the damage being caused by aspartate and glutamate include Adrienne Samuels, Ph.D., an experimental psychologist specializing in research design. Another is Olney, a professor in the department of psychiatry, School of Medicine, Washington University, a neuroscientist and researcher, and one of the world's foremost authorities on excitotoxins. (He informed Searle in 1971 that aspartic acid caused holes in the brain of mice.)

POSTED BY
Dr. Mercola
ARTICLE TOOLSEmail a FriendPrint ArticleBookmark & Share

I am allergic to Aspartine , and even the new stuff Splenda I believe it is chlorinated sugar, I use Stevia but it is so bitter, I guess I should simply go with out the sweetness.Hey nunu  I didnt realise sachet was an English term, funny how some terminologies stick,I also did not realise that the Coremega was a pudding I thought it was to spread on bread!!LOL
I say things and get funny looks because it is an English term and of course Kiwi's... etc use some English terms also along with our own terms or slang.

I was told all sugar subtitles are bad no matter what. my husband likes to bake with the splenda mix because he is worried about using normal sugar. I find when i eat what i bake for him I get a sore tummy and I am guessing its the splenda mix. i stopped using sugar substitute for anything I make for the kids and myself.

has anyone tried a product called fish friends( it tastes like oranges my son says its not too bad), it is a children's omega 3 blend with  dha, i purchased this for my son in the hope that it could help? md pulled him off stimulants and the side effects were too severe..most likely my son won't be allowed back on stimulants, any other things i could try would be helpful...he is on multi vitamins, a no sugar diet or as low as possible, and fish friends supplement..

That may be the "pudding " coramega I thought is tasted great ,how is your son doing on the supplements is he doing better now he hasnt got the side effects?
Children develop at different rates.  Some children who are very bright and well developed intelligence wise, can be behind in awareness and social skills.  My son could read and understand and remember an encyclopeadia but couldnt understand what was happening when someone put a mask on.  He was way ahead in maths but couldnt use a swing 'til he was 10 years old.

This was my son diagnosed ADHD, severe.  He evened out.  He was talking like a polititian at age 4 and people said.  "well if he is so clever why cant he sit still, stop shouting, behave himself"  "he needs a good kick up the ***" "he needs ritalin"

But he just didnt get it he was ahead and yet in other ways behind.  He is fine now aged 17, it evened out.  There have always been kids like this.  "he was pure mad as a boy" I have heard said about many successfull men.

He came to understand himself without medication.  He learned self control, by being given proper consequences and much love and attention.  It has been hard work but worth it.
fish oil.... I have found that Omega 3, 6,9, complex helps my ADD ADHD ODD 8 year old grandson. He currently takes Ritalin and Zoloft. I rescued him from a childrens institute in Richmond VA. That in itself was a nightmare. This is a day by day work in progress. My grandson seems to handle conflict with less excitement with omega supplements.
Mostly the questions now on this forum are  regarding the Meds that are prescribed and I see that there is now an expert Forum been asked for and is here on med Help so as I only know about Natural Remedies I will allow the "experts to take over. .
my son has been on omega 3 blend with 10%dpa and 40%dha, and i think i am seeing some benefit, when he first came off concerta he said he couldn't concentrate at all, but now says he can concentrate better, but still not optimal but it's still early but he does appear more intelligent, like he can think better and he appears happier, but he is on prozac so it is hard to tell what is affecting him more... interestingly enough i have been researching epsom salts that you would soak in the bath with....it is said to be a safe way to add magnesium sulphate to the body which is absorbed through the skin, ...this report states that it can help calm a hyperactive and anxious child because magnesium increases the brain's serotonin which controls moods (a long shot but my son's prozac does this for him but with side effects, so im going to try this instead as my son can't stay on prozac forever) epsom salts have been reported to work in the autism spectrum ,adhd, and mood disorders, where the magnesium levels are said to be low.and this helps to detoxify the body of chemicals..which i found interesting.

ill post later if i see a difference, im doing this because i really want to see what helps and hopefully prevent my son from having to go back on stimulants.....
Yes please post back to us this is very interesting to read and will benefit others battling to do their best for their children, this is what we need ,Parents to try the Supplements and give feedback for others so they will try also, Thank you, I have taken it down so I can pass it on to others going the same route.