ADD / ADHD Community
Focalin everyday?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Focalin everyday?

My 15 year old son has been on 15mg. of Focalin XR for over eight months and is doing well. After years of struggling in school he's finally doing great thanks to Focalin XR . I was VERY apprehensive about putting my son on any ADD medication and had exhausted every alternative before putting him on medication. Although my son is doing well and does not have any ill side effects from the drug he chooses not to take it everyday. The drug makes him feel hyper but much more focused. He doesn't want to take the drug when he's not in school. I have not made him take the drug when he's relaxing at home during summer vacation, weekends, and holidays. His doctor insists it's better for my son to take the drug everyday. When I asked why he just said that studies have shown it's better. I got the feeling that wasn't the whole truth. I know he is expected to monitor the amount he gives my son because kids are selling this drug illegally. If my son isn't taking it everyday it's more difficult for the doctor to keep track of, I suppose. Is it really medically necessary for my son to take Focalin XR everyday? I feel my son is mature enough to decide for himself but I don't want to cause him any harm do to lack of understanding on my part.

My 13 yr old is on Focalin XR and doing very well too.  He only takes it on school days, and that works fine for him.  Mty personal opinion is thatthe days off are good so he can learn some coping methods so he isnt taking this med his whole life.  My 15 yr old was prescribed Focalin XR as well, and refuses to try it.  Its making me crazy becasue he is very smart (gifted) and you'd never know it from his grades.
One weekend issue with my teen son is that he SLEEPS in quite a bit, and I think thats needed.  If he took his meds, he may not getthem till noon or later and that is too late for an XR, in my opinion.
Thanks for your input. I'll ask my sons pediatrician for a better explanation next time my son has an appointment. I'm glad I'm not the only parent not enforcing medication everyday. That makes me feel a lot better about it. I'll be sure to share the doctors reasons after my sons next appointment.
I'd like to hear what your doctor said.  Finally today, I was able to get my 15 yr old to try the Focalin XR.  Hopefully all will work well for him.  My high IQ gifted kid isnt even eligible for athletics now due to his grades.  He takes tests and does well, but has so many missing assignments, they kill his grades.  He's making me crazy becasue we both know he can do it, and he has thus far refused to comply with any treatment.  I am anxious to hear from him this evening about how the meds affected him.
I used to take focalin, but im off it now. Im about the same age as ur son, 14. I dont think u need to be on the medication. U can self teach urself how to function without it. It will be hard, but worth it. Besides if u take ADD medication for long periods of time, it can be very hard on ur liver and kidneys. Im not sure wat extent of damage can be done to them, and the rate at which it happens, or percent of it happening, but its not good for u. I hope u at least consider taking him off it.
To the above poster, you have no idea what parents have tried and havent, so to accuse parents of wanting a quick fix in unjust.  If they wanted that, they wouldnt be here or online looking for information and advice.  They would give the kid a pill and run off to their clubs.  I will agree it does happen in today's world occasionally.  My son has not been on meds, and the more challenging things become, the worse he does.  We have tried many approaches and none is working so far.  If meds in school will help, we will do that.

Followup on my son, he did not do well on the Focalin XR.  Hasnt been on anything since then, but did see the doctor.  He will try Adderall (adderrall) starting next week- very low dose to start.

My son has struggled in school as far back as Kindergarten. By sixth grade he had given up on school all together and ended up in resource classes. He tests at a gifted level and the resource classes made things worse for him. My son asked to try medication. I was very apprehensive about him taking the medication. Now he takes the meds as he feels he needs them. He's now in the 9th grade and loves school. He's getting great grades and participates in many after school activities.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your medication. With help, I'm sure you can over come your inability to function without med's. I can only imagine how hurt you must be if you parent forced med’s on you that you didn’t need. I’d conceder that neglect and child abuse. Attacking parents that are asking for help is mean and inappropriate behavior on your part. After all the programs, tutoring, counseling and therapy my son has been through, I was really offended and hurt at your “being parents” remark.

Momtoteenboys

Thank you for your post. I agree with you completely. I truly hope you find what works for your son.