ADD / ADHD Community
Guidance Needed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Guidance Needed

My 7-yr old nephew has recently been diagnosed with ADHD and is going to be starting medication soon.  He was recently suspended from school for "inappropriately touching" three girls.  The school has taken a very agressive stance about allowing him back into school, requiring a psychological evaluation, etc.  The psychologist that my nephew is going to will not participate, and the school's suggested "counselor" will not handle children in their county.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to who we can contact to get this boy some help?  It seems that everyone we go to for help is slamming the door in our faces, and we need to get this boy back in school.  I know he can't be the only child to ever have this problem, but the reaction we are getting is incredible.  I would appreciate any assistance or guidance you can give me and my family...
Not country, county. The counselor does not accept children outside of King County, and they live in Snohomish County.
Thanks for the information.  The one counselor that wouldn't cross the county line WAS the one referred by the school... they said they no other options.  The school was aware of my nephew's diagnosis, and that he was starting meds.  I should mention that he was in trouble once before for going into the girls bathroom (supposedly on a dare, no  touching occurred).  So this, in essence, is Strike 2. But again, I know he's not the only child to behave this way...

Do you know of a website or any suggestion for a parenting support group?  As family members, we are all trying to help his mom & dad to cope with this, but none of us has ever "been there".

Again, thanks for all your help.  Any suggestions or ideas right about now are so very much appreciated.
I would highly recommend the Feingold diet, www.feingold.org
I have seen significant improvements in my 11 yo son after going feingold.  I also see the effects when he eats things like artificial colors & preservatives which are avoided on feingold.  A good book to read to learn more is;  Why Can't My Child Behave? by Jane Hersey

Dietary changes are not harmful, although it's a little overwhelming at first, definitely worth the effort.
Yeah its not nice at all!!  My cousin Coby has the illness and his mum Trish looks after him.

Can you apply for carer payment or allowance?

Try to communicate with the school a bit more.. sometimes they just need a good push in the back to get going.

A diary may be useful as well - good communication.

www.youngplanet.org is also really good.

kaz_22