ADD / ADHD Community
Has my boy got ADHD?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Has my boy got ADHD?

I have recently been wondering whether my little boy may have ADHD. He is now nearly 7. Has always been a handful. Very lively boy since being in my womb where he used to kick so hard it hurt!

Here is a list of concerns I have about him:

1) Inability to sit still. (He can not be still for a second, no matter how hard he tries).
2)No awareness of danger. (recently had a serious accident where he severed an artery and needed plastic surgery on his chest after falling through glass).
3)Difficulty playing well with other children.
4)Very Impatient.
5)Very clumbsy. Always breaking things or falling over.
6)Finds it hard to be quiet.
7)Finds it hard to behave in social situations.
8)Interrupts often and shouts if not listened to straight away.
9)Short temper, however this is usually short lived.
10)Acts without thinking. This is all the time.
11)Can't take instruction well.
12) emotional- feels hurt when being disciplined and feels everyone is mean to him. Can't ever see that he has done wrong no matter how much you explain.
13) anxiety-this is a recent thing. Over the last year. His teachers in school have picked up on it too. He over worries about very small things and gets himself in a state.

He is a very loving boy, eager to please and doesn't seem to understand when he is naughty. He seems to have no awareness off it, or very little. He doesn't seem to learn, unlike his older sister.

Can anyone give me any advice?
For a while I have just thought this was a typical boy thing, but after his accident and looking into it I am starting to wonder whether it might not be just that. I don't want to label him but at the same time if he does have something like ADHD I think it would be good to know so we his parents and his teachers can be more understanding.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Aimee.
Your boy and my boy have a lot in common.  google sensory integration disorder or sensory processing disorder (SPD is a great web site).

Good news, my son was diagnosed with sensory integration disorder and is doing great after occupational therapy was introduced as well as sensory strategies.  He's now 9.  

So, please read about that online an then let me know what you think.  It sounds like your son is very much like my own.  

I can tell you much more about sensory but in truth, your list is all on the sensory list.  
   Your last line is so important - " so we his parents and his teachers can be more understanding. "  If a child does have ADHD or SPD, it is really important to know because the child really has difficulty controlling what they are doing.   And his anxiety is very much a clue that something is going on.  And until he is able to understand what is going on - that anxiety will only increase as he tries to do better, but keeps getting into trouble.
   So definitely check out the SPD site - http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/   - as sensory will many times get mistaken for ADHD.
   In terms of ADHD, this is probably one of the most informative sites - http://www.help4adhd.org/en/about/what/WWK1.
   Let us know what you think.  Specialmom monitors this site on SPD - http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Sensory-Integration-Disorder-SID/show/1396  ; And I, of course, monitor this site.  Together we have a lot of resources that can help you.
As someone with ADD/ADHD, I can attest to numbers 1, 4, 6, 10, and a huge resounding yes to 11. However, some of the behaviors don't quite fit with ADD/ADHD. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.