Natural Ways to Help ADD
Hi my son is 9 and is in 4th grade.  I am so stressed out!  He is the oldest child.  I am at my limit with him and he is making me crazy!!!!!   In kindergarden he was very compulsive tried to end that with punishment priveleges.  First grade same story but I spent hours upon hours trying to get him to understand his homework.  It was so painful!!!  Second grade same thing just getting worse as the work increased sometimes homework would take 4 hhours.  Finally I decided to put him on ritalin .  He would get extremely moody at the time he came home from school.  He would take his med at 8 am at noon.  In the summer I stopped it but he still had troublrein school with being figity.  The teacher claimed it helped.  In third grade the teacher said he was disorganized figity.  Therefore put him on ritalin again in November but had ta take off in December.  He would be so emotional I was so afraid.  He seemed extremely depressed.  Through the course of the year same problems he was only allowed to play videp games on the weekend and watch tv if he was good at school all week.  The strange thing is his grades were not so bad.  On the states standard testing he did average to alittle above average.  Its so frustrating does he really have add or is he lazy Im so confused.  This year his teacher already told me he is disorganized.  Sometimes homework takes 4 hours and its not alot.  He doesnt bring home the books he is suppose to for homework he loses his uniform.  This year we switched him to a Catholic school He used to be in public.  One day at gym he lost the shirt he was WEARING!!  When he came home all he had on was his under t shirt.  How can he not know.  Im so frustrated.  Is there any foods to feed a kid that helps them naturally?
Hi I also have a 12 year old son with ADHD. I started him on Fish Oil and Vitamin C tables. Changed his eating habits and I can now see a big difference in him. I will never go back to the hard drugs again, because I seen first hand what they can do to a child. We are going all natural from now on. I found a book from a doctor that I am reading now called " Is This Your Child" by Dois J. Rapp, MD. She also has a diet that you can put your children on to see if they have any food Allergies. She saids that the allergies can cause the ADHD problems. There is also a website that she has about her diet for people with ADHD and other problems.
If you read the posts here you will find you are not alone in your concern, your story is a Familiar one we read here,it is really tough on Parents when all you want is your help your child and there all these mixed messages put out there, in the end you do what your gut tells you . One recent study suggests that all children and especially those with learning and concentrating difficulties, benefit from a multiple-mineral supplement with antioxidants ,B Complex and Vit C also Fish oil is noted, one of the people here recommended a smoothie with fish oil in it, I went to try it ,its very good,there are capsules out there and liquid(Yuck) I am going to get the Book that Joyforchrist said in the previous post "Is this your child' as my daughter is trying the Natural Way on her children,  after an experience like yours with Ritalin and Adderall.They also say Nutrition counts and cutting out all additives where you can,try eliminating all allergenic foods like Wheat, Dairy for a month then add back nutritious choices,Protein Rich foods support allertness and concentration, fish, chicken Tofu ,eggs, however leave the more relaxing carbohydrates ,fruits and Veg till the dinner time or an evening snack.Best of luck
PS  try to not punish for behavior he is struggling with ,go easy and try not to react to any details, sometimes less said helps, focus on the positive side of his behavior and priase when you catch him doing something right.

As a teacher I have often heard about the ups and downs with ritalin. It does help the child in the short term while at school (I have had several kids in my classes take it) but many parents can only see the letdown at the end of the day. I had a friend whose son was in my class of 2nd graders. He was taking Metadate and this roller coaster effect was never a problem. My son takes a low dose of Adderall XR and we have no moodiness to speak of. We do have to get our homework done before 5:00.

You can do a lot to support your son without (or in addition to) the meds. Fish oil, B vitamins, and hi-protein foods are very helpful. My son likes whole grain PowerBars. They are like a chocolate chip granola bar with a lot of protein and fiber. A lot of ADD kids are hard to feed a good breakfast to without being late. Sleep is important too.

I placed him in Catholic school as well and we have found that a more peaceful environment has really helped him focus better. ADD kids are typically very sensitive to the group around them. "Catch him doing something right" is great advice too. They thrive on encouragement.

That being said I feel that many kids do need the meds to be at their best. Ritalin is a problem for yours, but there might be a better one out there that you could try.

mehc
Fortunatly my Daughter has come to realise that most of these Drugs come with side effects and long term effects and is trying the Natural way with supplements for her child and if he doesnt get As and Bs so be it , he focus's good enough for her, its his life not hers as she points out.