ADD / ADHD Community
adhd daughter / acts crazy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

adhd daughter / acts crazy

hi there ok just looking for some help here, i have a 5 year old ( 6 in 3 nmonths) who has add/adhd combined and odd. shes crazy is all i can say,shes medicated on ritalin twice a day, which is a life saver, it helps her have a better quality day.but when shes off it or its worn off :O my god.i just actuaqlly watch her in shock and wonder is it realy adhd ? could tehre be somethin else,?? if anyone can help please reply

she screams constantly,shouts,runs about flappin her arms and shoutin all day !! talks nonsense,lies compulsivly, spys on my partner goin to the toilet/showering, iv caught her be mean to so many kids but den blames them,crys over EVERYTIN !!!! i am rally loosin my patience latly which i knw isnt good but its hard,

but >>> the main concern is the crazy part i mean she literaly looks insane runnin about pullin crazy faces tongue goin everywhere eyes rolling arms in the air, does anyone else have this with their adhd children ???
Well, look at it this way-----------  it is fine that she does that at home, that is her safe place to blow off steam, right?  It sounds like to me that your daughter needs outlets for energy.  What do you do in your spare time with her?  She needs physical activity-----------  take her swimming (indoor pools work in cold climate), to parks where she can run, jump, swing, etc, get her out riding a bike or scooter, set up an obstacle course for her in the house, have her carry something weighted (bag of books) for you as a favor, have her help vacuum, have her move a chair for you, place a mattress on the floor and let her jump, go to an indoor gym and let her run around or an outside area to do that,sign her up for tumbling and gymnastics, have her do the monkey bars, etc.  "Heavy Work" is what an occupational therapist calls this activity and it works on the nervous system to calm it.  She probably needs a couple of hours of this every day.  After school-------  this needs to be a priority.  Do it for as long as possible on the weekends.  I'd make it a central part of your life to get this activity for her.  

I'd ignore the faces and never utter the words crazy or insane around her.  Praise the good, discipline with patience the bad (hurting other kids), ignore the rest.  Give her choices as often as possible.  Lots of little choices helps a child to comply as they feel like they have some power----  but you give the choices so you are ultimately in control.  

Last, essential to remain really calm and to be a good role model.  Watch what you say in front of her.  Don't yell or lose it.  (I push my tongue to the roof of my mouth when I feel like doing this).  Take a few deep breaths yourself when you feel like you are getting upset.

She can have a 'cool' down place to go to when upset where she can try to calm herself and everyone leaves her alone.  A pop up tent (they make small ones) works perfect for this.  good luck
In reference to your last paragraph, did she behave this way before she was medicated, or after, or always?