ALS Community
Feet twitching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

Feet twitching

in 47 male in good shape.. about 5 months ago my eyelid starting twitching and it lasted for one month.. That stopped but then on both my feet running from big toe to ankle has been twitching none stop for 4 plus months.. I can see the twitches and they POP... I have no other symptoms no weakness that i can see or feel.. Of course als pops up so my question is if this was related to a dreaded disease wouldn't i have other symptoms by now like weakness or tripping etc.. I have read some sites that say weakness comes before twitches and some say twitches come first so im confused and scared.  
ps.. i have done some home testing like hop up and down stairs, toe raises, stand on one foot etc.. all fine
thanks you
Hi!
I can understand your apprehensions regarding ALS. The symptoms can progress in any order and this is the reason you find that some develop weakness first and others develop twitching.
However, all twitches are not due to ALS.
Apart from disc problems in the back and anxiety and panic attacks, muscle spasms can be due to several causes. Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, muscle fatigue, pinched nerve due to wrong posture could be the cause in your case. Try and use the correct posture while sitting and walking and consult a physical therapist regarding some stretch exercises which you can perform to help relieve tension.
If this does not help, then I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Certain sleep disorders and peripheral nerve disorders due to diabetes, Lyme's, lupus or hypothyroidism can also be the cause.
Please consult your primary doctor and try and find the cause. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.