Acne Community
My Acne has ruined my life

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

My Acne has ruined my life

Ive always suffered from minor breakouts in highschool, although it seemed as though i was the only one who ever had a pimple. Years passed just like that, always having a mild breakout of maybe 5 pimples during "rag-time". Then about 3 years ago I went to school for esthetics, where i learned the ins and outs of acne care, and treatment... i was the one who helped people with their acne and skin conditions. Half way threw school it started... everyday i woke up with 5 more pimples... i had pimples on top of pimples, on top of pimples. Being in school, I had everyone on my side trying to help me, every cream and face wash available, microdermabrasion, laser treatments, chemical peels, the works... NOTHING worked. I finally finished school, and got the dream job working at a cosmetic surgeons office as a medical esthetician... 6 months later i quit, and never went back to doing what i went to school for. My skin appearance was unproffesional, i lost clients, and how could i tell someone how to take care of their skin, when mine looked like this? Then a few months after that, i woke up one morning to flawless skin. There was no reason for it, i didnt change my diet (which by the way is extremely healthy and full of vitamins), i didnt change my face wash or anything... it was un explainable. I remained almost 6 months with perfect flawless skin, not one breakout, my scars were diminishing, my confidence was back, my marriage was fantastic, i even went a couple weeks without wearing makeup which was my DREAM!!
as quickly as it went away, is as quickly as it came back... woke up one morning with my jawline covered again, and since than, i have not gone one day without as many as 20-30 cystic sore and painful pimples under my skin for over 8 months. my social life is obsolete, i refuse to leave my house, i refuse to work at times, ive gained over 30 lbs due to lack of esteem, i refuse to let my husband look at me, and therefore has led to martial problems because it has made me a very resentful person. I want to never have to wear makeup again, but i cant leave the house without a mound of makeup on not only to cover the acne but to cover up the extreme purple and red scarring its left behind. I want to think that there are other people like me out there, but i never see them. I hate people pointing out a new pimple, or talking to someone and knowing they are looking at my acne and not at me, or staring at my caked on makeup, and im sure every person with acne has been told on many occassions "have you tried proactive?"  i hate looking in the mirror... knowing that years ago i used to be a proffesional model/actress, and seeing whats become of me. i need help, before it completely ruins my life. what in gods name do i do?!
i am sending you such a tight hug!! *:) i totally understand you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi. I totally understand.
Acne is caused by raised androgen levels or a particular sensitivity to the effects of androgens. Androgens are male hormones found in male and female bodies. Androgens stimulate the sebaceous glands in the skin. If too much sebum (oil) is produced, bacteria on the skin feeds off this excess oil and inflammed acne spots occur.
The best treatments for female acne patients are anti-androgens. Have you tried Spironolactone and/or an anti-androgen contraceptive pill such as Diane35? Other combined oral contraceptive pills such as Yasmin may help to some extent too, as the oestrogen they contain blocks the actions of androgens on the skin. (Diane35 contains both an anti-androgen and an oestrogen). Avoid the mini-pill, hormonal IUD and depot shot all of which can make acne worse.
Have you taken oral antibiotics such as Oxytetracycline 250mg twice daily? This is particularly effective in conjunction with a topical retinoid such as Differin (adapalene 0.1%).
If standard treatments result in failure or relapse your GP can refer you to a dermatologist for Oral Isotretinoin (Accutane/Roaccutane). This is the strongest acne treatment available and 80% of patients experience a long term remission from acne after just one course lasting 16-24 weeks.
Sorry if you have already tried some of these, but you don't say specifically what you've tried.
As you probably know, when we eat the nutrients are carried to other vital organs such as brain and heart first, so it is possible to have poor skin despite an excellent diet. Acne is much more to do with sensitivity to the effects of androgens than diet or lifestyle.
The best foundation I can recommend for acneic skin is Toleriane Compact foundation by La Roche-Posay. Buy one of their cleansers to remove it as it is very long-lasting and waterproof. Purchase online if there is not a stockist near you.
Best Wishes, Eloise.
aww! i know what you mean. in my 8th grade year, my face was terrible. i wouldn't even put my bangs up for sports practices. because it looked even worse! i cried all the time. it's going away with my age. but i have a special dermatologist and it's helping a little. i hope you feel betttterrrr!
i have tried diane 35.. i went on that for about a year and a half after highschool... i noticed that it helped a SMALL bit, but i still woke up with 3 pimples instead of 5. My only thought, after researching this for years is a hormonal imbalance, although in my case, my husband and i are trying to get pregnant so i cant necessarily go on accutane or the pill again. should i also mention that it covers my back and my chest?!?
You may have a hormonal imbalance or an underlying condition such as PCOS. This should be investigated if you are trying to concieve (conceive). Often though, female acne patients just have a particular sensitivity to the effects of androgens, rather than abnormally high levels of androgens.
You are limited to which acne treatments you use if you are trying to become pregnant. No prescription acne treatment can be guaranteed 100% safe during pregnancy, although Dalacin (topical clindamycin) may be prescribed.
Clinique make a Chest & Back Spray which is more practical to apply to large areas than a gel or cream.
The good news is that acne often improves during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy (it may temporarily worsen during the first trimester). If you decide not to breast-feed a pill such as Diane35 can be started 21 days after delivery.
Eloise.
Wow.. this is a really depressing story and sadly it happens to a lot more people than we think.... acne really ***** and I feel your pain mrsjanedoe..maybe consulting several dermatologists would help? You definitely need professional help and Im sorry I can't offer better advice..

I had a friend change her diet completely, went raw and cleared up her skin so maybe there's something to do with your diet?

http://acnefreeblog.com
i completely understand your pain physically and emotionally. i am going through the same thind. i will let you know if i come across anything that works. please do the same for me. Best wishes
Hi my name is connor, i started to get little pimples at the end of year8. My spots started to get worse i would get big zits but just in the "T-zone". I tried many facial washes and creams but none seemed to work. Soo i went to my gp and he prescribed me with some capsules and a lotion my spots were gone in days. i was on this medication for about 4 - 6 months then the tablets stopped working!? They didnt go back to the normal zits it turned into mild acne. across my forhead, cheeks, upper lip, chin and jaw line. the spots started to spread and i started getting them under my skin which really hurt. I visited my gp and he made me an appointment at the dermotologist straight away. I have waited about a month and my appointment is in another month. So i have been going with bad acne for 2months and it has been the worst time of my life im am depressed, i cry all the time when im on my own, i look at myself and want to smash the mirror. I was really confident as i am not an ugly lad but acne has ruined my life.