Agoraphobia Community
Agoraphobic/Homebound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to agoraphobia.

Agoraphobic/Homebound

Hello everyone. Been wanting to find a site where i can meet some people that are going through the same or similar situation as me. Im 24 and have been agoraphobic/homebound for about 6 years. Its been a rough path for me but im hanging in there. Currently on meds and having meetings 2 times a week. I am progressing and it feels good. I just hope when it comes times for the big steps im ready. Anyways feel free to contact me im always down for a good conversation or any for that matter =)
Hey how you doing?i am glad you found this site it is a great help,whilst i never suffered homebound i can totally relate to you and understands what you are feeling,my anxiety caused me alot of grief when it was bad and sometimes when i was out i would get the worst attacks ever,and unless you suffer this people around you how ever much they care about you cannot even begin to understand the fears and horrible symptoms this can cause.I am so please you are improving,and with this site it will become easier
I was homebound for about 2 years.  It was awful.  I know how you feel.  I ended up finding this amazing psychologist who helped me slowly live my life again.  I still struggle with anxiety attacks but it is nothing like I once experienced.  I remember when I first was able to leave the house that I would get real light-headed and nervous.  I would always be on the look out for an exit because I was afraid of being trapped.  I even had to get up and leave a restaurant in the middle of my meal before.  But it does get easier.  And there is hope.  Please take it one day at a time.  Do you have any good support people around you?  
im having trouble reachn out for help. I mis appointments cause of my anxiety lose help cause i cnt pick up the phone to get help. My wife does everything 4 me but i need help to get outside.  I feel like im livn on borrowed time and somethn bad is going to happen any min. I know its n my head but i cnt relieve my anxiety. I dnt no what to do.  
i too have periods of being housebound. i am doing some better but still don't go out much. Some things that are helping me are to remember I don't have a sixth sense and can't predict what will happen. That no matter what happens I will handle it. I do baby steps every day and read read read the self help books. I am starting a book of my own with all the tidbits that have helped and don't yet know the ending as i am still a work in progress but if i am able to learn to live with the anxiety and not have it be my master, the steps used to get there might help someone else. It is just in the budding stage but i think i can put it on paper. What I have learned from all the books is acceptance is key. Accept the thoughts, accept the feelings, accept when i can't do it, and that positive aspirations do help alot whether you believe them or not, your body does respond to the feelings that come with the words, just like anxiety does, and does change chemically when you smile.
Thank you everyone that posted. Its good being able to share and talk about it with people that understand. Alot of people are to close-minded to understand a mental illness such as this.

"confused317" Yes I have supportive family. Although they get very frustrated because they dont know how to help me... they are still here when i lost 99% of my friends and my girlfriend.

Well getting ready for one of my sessions. Catch you later
it seems the only time im able to feel normal with my anxiety is when i was on xanax. I stoped takn em awhile bk and now its like im n a constant fear of anxiety. Iv tried other meds but dnt seem to work. I know xanax is frownd on by most dr. what should i do.
In my opinion xanax isn't going to fix anything in the long run. Sure it will make you feel better right then and there but a quick fix really isn't the answer. I would say go to a psychiatrist and figure out what would be the best anti anxiety medication for you to be on, and then he will probably recommend a psychologist to you so you can start having some sessions and figure out exactly whats going on and how to fix it.
i carry xanax for the emergency situations, maybe take 1 a month, it is true, you have to do the work to get better and while you need the relief on occasion, the more you can get thru the attacks using your tools the less you will need something like xanax. It is a long and not so easy road but i believe it can be done. My mantra, no matter what happens I will handle it
I have been housebound for 4 years. I am unable to get to the doctors office or therapy. I was given lorazepam .5mg to help but I am too scared to take it. I have tried many of the anti-depressants and have terrible side effects. I have good days and bad days. Usually as long as I am aat home I am ok. I have learned to control it within my "safty zone". My 20 year reunion is coming up in Aug and I want to be able to go so bad. Obviously I am not going to be able to overcome the agoraphobia without some kind of help, either meds or therapy or a combination of both. Any suggestions or comments about the lorazepam(ativan) for helping me be able to get out?
betz ,I just noticed your other post and responded.  This is an interesting thread.  I gave you my opinion on the other one.

Remember we are not medical experts.  Each case is different. Some of us live alone; others have support ...spouses or family.  People have different reactions to medications.

Keep posting.  As you see you are not alone.
hello anx13ty. i like you,am also homebound. but have been for 20 years. i started with anxiety attacks at age 17. eventually it took me right out of my own life. i do not leave the house for any reason. i am forced to self-medicate myself because i cant just go see a doctor. everyone i try to seek help from acts like its just no big deal, like i can come right in for an appointment. recently i contacted a counseling group that will come out to me, but i have to be on medicaid. and you cant have medicaid without applying for disability, which you cant get without seeing a doctor. talk about stress!!! ive done the applying, so we'll see what happens. i even tried the midwest center program. didnt work for me. if you can go to a doctor, go.i'm trying to remain hopeful and pray a whole lot. i would like to have a life while i can still enjoy one.
hang in im in the same boat
Hey guys,

got the same problem, with added bonuses of unipolar and agression,,, so i definaely know wot u all feel,, ppl saying they understand and get really ticked when u do an unconrollable decision pfft y shld i bother explaining to them anymore,, 2 scared 2 leave the house by myself now,,, rant and rave one minute and happy as pig in another flip of the coin,,, i hate it hate,,,
I have a new boyfriend of 5 weeks.  We've known each other for 2 1/2 years but just started going out and getting serious.  He had a stroke 4-5 years ago and has been homebound ever since trying to heal.  Now, our first date was meeting for a cup of coffee and a walk to a park.  Then, three weekends in a row, he spent at my house.  He also went with me out to lunch and to shops.  I knew he had a hard time getting out but, he told me recently that he did it for me and it makes him too uncomfortable to go out - expecially on the weekends.  Now, I understand what he is going through because I was a bit of a shut-in at one time and I've struggled with anxiety all of my life.  So, we are really good for each other in a lot of ways.  There is no way I want to stop seeing him because we are meant to be together.  I know he won't go to the doctor or a therapist so that is out.  He knows he has to go out to get better whether he feels like it or not but right now, he is not going to go out.  What can I do for him and how do I cope?  He is a wonderful and funny guy and is well adjusted otherwise. Thank you!
Hello, I'm 31 and a housebound agoraphobic.  I've been housebound for 5+ years now.  To help my stress/anxiety I find myself playing online poker for play chips.  I currently live with my terminally ill Mother, and I'm also her caregiver most of the time.  I also suffer from panic/anxiety, hypothyroidism, and asthma/allergies.  I'd like to corrsepond with someone who knows what it's like to have agoraphobia.

Thanks,
Ann
Hi, I've been agoraphobic for eight years now. I just found this forum and I am shocked that I'm not the only homebound one. I'm 41, my husband used to do everything for me up until a few months ago, he was very understanding of my condition. Some of the people I know now say that he was an enabler. I guess they were kind of right. When he passed away a few months ago suddenly, I wasn't prepared for anything. I was so lucky to have a friend that cared and helped me set up grocery shopping delivery etc. etc. I'ts quite amazing what you can order online. It's hard to go out, but I'm doing a little better each time I do venture out, eg. to the mailbox, the shed in the backyard (pretty silly I know).

Anyway it makes me feel better that I'm not as alone as I thought I was. Oddly it gives me strength and hope. Maybe I'll get up the nerve and take a taxi to Home Depot one day. God willing.

Sincerely Yours
Emily

hello my name is rose and ive been going through the spiral of depression-anxiety-agoraphobia for years now. im not sure anymore what can help and im very anxious about it all the time i feel like i am a person inside that cant get out and i dont know how. i see im not alone in this
Hello everyone, i am a 24 year old female. Ive had severe anxiety panic disorder, depression, phobias for as long as i can remember. I juat started seeing a psychologist who im glad i found. I know i dont live a normal life compared to others my age, but then again ive never been into the same things i dont like/trust people..i dont like to socialize or drink or anything much. I left high school because i had such bad panic attacks yet i didnt know what it was at the time. Im still struggling going in and out of little jobs because i have phobias, i always think im going to die or i always feel weak and i just want to be home. I am here to look for an email friend or friends with similar issues to mine. We know its not easy to find people who can understand this type of life..anyone want to chat about things id be happy to talk and make new email pals.
hi, i am always happy to hook up for accountability buddies, i am not too interested in stories but very motivated for recovery. i have one person from this site that we connected some months ago and use facebook to support each other. I have come a long way and really don't want to back slide. i give hours and hours to reading, meditation, exercise and self help activities. anyone that wants to support each other in taking steps, lets do this! I have begun to get out more but more importantly am not in agony nearly as much when i do, from not doing anything, to actually going to stores, resteraunts, etc is great and I feel like Eckhardt Tolle has been key for me, his books are saving my life
Hi and I just signed up. I wanted to know if you have found anything to help with the panic attacks? I'm housebond and HATING it. I notice your post was last year so I'm HOPING you tell me you are now doing great and made it to the reunion!

pamala
Hi Ann,

I'm housebound with agoraphobia and I also have MS. So I am a total wreck. lol I understand exactly how hopeless you feel!
hi, saw your post, and can deffinitely relate, my fiance does everything for me. I am at the point to where I want the help & want to get out, but it's hard being on medicaid and all, it's a relief to find a site where there are others who can understand what your going through, for me this has been very lonely & in the beginning very confusing. I have no positive support system which I read all over is a key factor to getting better, which is why I am turning to these sites.
DJ873 - I would be interested in doing the same thing.  In the past few months I've developed agoraphobia and in the past week it's gotten really bad.  I went through this eight years ago when anxiety first ran it's course on me and I know the only way to beat it is to face the fear and go out and do things.  I feel the longer I avoid doing normal, every day things, the worse I'm going to get.  I don't want to turn into a shut-in (no offense at all to anyone on this site who is; I truly feel for you!) and it would be great to have someone to support and encourage and receive the same in return.  I actually have a pen-pal on the other side of the globe and today she told me that she wanted me to shower, do my hair, and my make-up and then send her a picture to prove that I did it.  (I have barely gotten out of bed this past week.)  I'm in the process of getting ready and am going to venture out of the house tonight and visit my mom.  It sounds silly, but this will be a huge success for me.  I'd love to meet somebody in a similar situation.
I'm 27 and homebound with a 14 month old baby, in the middle of a VERY amicable separation from my husband who has put up with allllll these agoraphobic 'crises' for 5 years now. We decided we aren't right for each other but he wants to stay in the same house until he can finish helping me learn how to be independent. :-( Hope you have family around to help you, this disease just eats us up inside.