Agoraphobia Community
new agoraphobic?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to agoraphobia.

new agoraphobic?

It started about three years ago. It's hard to even go out on my porch. When I leave this house I feel like everyone is staring at me and that they think I'm crazy. I'm afraid to even answer the phone. I'm afraid I'll say the wrong thing.

I'm here looking for companionship and people who can relate to this. I hope I don't say the wrong thing here....lol
Hey there, i just went to the Dr and he said i had panic disorder with agoraphobia, well he told me that i would not get over this unless i felt the panic and fear and went for it. I have a problem driving so he said i need to get in the car and drive and when i start to freak and have a panic attack to pull over and have my attack and then keep going. I haven't tried it yet bcus it sounds so scary. I don't think ppl understand that have never gone thru this.
If you want to try this then it may help you. Just go out on the porch and sit there for a few mins and then go back in and then do it again. I am planning on trying this method and i will let you know how it goes.
Are you on any meds right now?
It sounds like you have agoraphobia mixed with paranoia. It would be helpful to you if you could start up a mental health treatment plan with a Dr, psychiatrist, or psychologist. I also agree with blued82 that an important step in getting better is facing what you fear. If you don't face it and always give into your anxieties then your brain becomes "trained" into thinking there is real danger when there isn't. I have anxiety and panic disorder and I've often been on the verge of becoming agoraphobic but I never want that to happen so I force myself into going places even if I have panic attacks while doing it. Hang in there and good luck.
Thank you both for responding. You are right, I need to face my fears. The longer it goes on, the harder it will be to turn it around. As far as medication goes...Wellbutrin and Buspar. I'm having blood pressure problems so when I see this new doctor in a couple of weeks I'll see about changing the Wellbutrin as hbp is a common side effect. I'll also inquire about counseling there. They have general practictioners and behaviorial health in the same clinic. I will definitely pursue counseling. I've done it before. I've also got to overcome this fear of doctors...lol. Thanks again, it's nice to have folks who understand.
Sorry hon,, just saw your post, so I know now what meds your on and what you are going through , sending prayers for you and your new dr. hoping you like her or him and help is coming... caring, edawna
Thanks for the encouraging comments. One of the most difficult challenges is that people aren't comfortable with my problem. People don't understand this change in me, and many get angry and act like I'm just being selfish and stubborn. I didn't choose for this to happen. PTSD evolved into this new monster. The good thing is that I haven't completely given up. I'm hoping the new doctor can help.
How are things going? Just checking in on ya!
Things are about the same. I appreciate you checking on me.