Alcoholism Community
When i drink alcohol i ALWAYS get cold-like symptoms the next day?? Sur...

This community is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

When i drink alcohol i ALWAYS get cold-like symptoms the next day?? Surely this can't be right?

I'm 19 years old, and i enjoy going out with my friends on the weekend having a few drinks. I really enjoy doing this but now i find that i don't want to because everytime i drink, i always wake up with cold-like symptoms the next day. I get really bad cold symptoms, runny nose, sneezing, bad sinus conjestion etc. It's really having an effect on my social life, i don't need to drink of course, but i enjoy it and i don't want to have to stop because i feel so ill the next day, i don't think this is normal and want to find out if anyones had the same effects or knows what it might be? I was leading towards thinking its an allergy or some kind maybe? Who knows, but it's putting me off going out whenever alcohol is involved! Not to mention making me lose a day afterwards! :(
Alcohol depresses the immune system, making one prone to catch bugs. I suspect your immune system is not in good shape to begin with, so the alcohol becomes the "straw that breaks the camel's back".
Well it looks like you can never drink again. Sorry! ha ha

Wow if only I would've had that problem I wouldn't have end stage cirrhosis. You can have a lot of fun with your friends without drinking if not maybe find some new friends!

Maybe try drinking less since I suspect its nothing more than a really bad hangover. Drink responsibly.

Randy
Oh great :/ haha
Well i'm going doctors this afternoon anyway, so i'm going to ask him just to try and find out what's going on. I have pretty much drank alcohol every other weekend since i turned 18, so that's probably why it's damaged my immune system so much, haha
Did the doctor confirm what I said? hrmmmm?
She said that some people are just sensitive to alcohol unfortunatley and it makes them conjested, giving them cold-like symptoms. the most common drinks that causes it are red win and brandy, but i don't drink those, but she said it can happen with any alcohol, no cure unfortunatley.
Well it is unfortunate but in a way im kinda glad for you. I mean for your health, alcoholism is a horrible disease and many people spend their entire life battling with it. In some cases as you know it even takes lives.

Your young and probably don't need to worry about things like this so maybe it's kind of a blessing for you. I spent the last 20 plus years of my life drinking-drunk but now i've been sober for nearly 2 years. Life really is much more enjoyable through sober eyes! You can still hang out with your friends and have a lot of fun too. I like making fun of the drunk guy and tricking him into acting even more dumb! ha ha Only in a harmless manner though.

Take good care of yourself and if you have to drink in order to keep these friends then maybe it's time to look for new friend that like you the way you are. Surround yourself with good people and it will make you a better person. You will get much farther in life too!

I bet you didn't know you were going to get a lecture did ya? ha ha have a great day!

Randy
Thank you, appreciate it. You're probably right anyway, it won't stop me drinking in all honesty, like next week it's my 20th and i'm gonna go out with lots of friends and i am gonna enjoy a drink, i'll just have to deal with the consequences. I'm not addicted, i'm young and i just enjoy a good time with my friends, but i do realise that it's not the only way to have fun and tbh now i'm a little older i am gonna calm down with the drinking.. well i have to really haha, can't be snotty all my life! haha.

Congratulations being sober for 2 years, and thank you for answering my question, alcohol isn't the biggest thing in my life, i can do without it, and im surrounded by lots of lovely friends and family who don't need alcohol either, but like i said i will enjoy one from time to time, but no doubt, getting ill will put me off drinking haha, but like you said, not a bad thing!

Thanks again!

Alcohol is bad for your health you may have a condition that you may not can drink.  All in all I would find out.  
Yeh I have had the exact same problem as you and in 18, I went Docters just now and they have me blood test so until couple days they will tell me, but the docter thinks it's lack if vitemin D
Just wanted to thank you for this Randy.
You are very welcome. Are you doing alright or did you find the answers you need? I see you are new here so Welcome to MedHelp :)

Randy
Hi I get the same reaction to alcohol I'm 32 and only been experiencing the problem the last 3 years . I've never really been a big drinker but it's not fun when you have a glass of wine with a friend or a g&t on shot summers day. Did you have any luck with trying vit D ?
Hi Gemma07,
Like yourself I tend to suffer from cold like symptoms after drinking alcohol, depending on how much. I used to call it my Wednesday cold as invariably by mid week I would feel full of man cold (serious form of regular cold:). I spoke to a bio-chemist and she reckons that its an antibody reaction wherby the antibodies see alcohol as an intruder or foreign body and attach themselves to in my case the lungs to fight off infection. Not sure how correct this is but the lady in question is a renowned scientist and I would have great faith in her.

Regards,
Martin
This is actually a "blessing in disguise"

Your body is trying to tell You something important and instead of listening we look for a way to get around it so we can still drink.  

If we listen (pay attention) to our bodies, we would avoid much addiction, diabetes, high blood pressure, CAD, etc., etc.  Our bodies are 'smarter' than our minds - it warns us when we are doing something harmful to ourselves but we don't listen.  Alcohol is poison to our bodies and our bodies react when we ingest alcohol.
Hi I am 45 and have just started with cold symptoms/ hay fever the morning after a drink.
it last for 24hrs depending on amount of alcohol consumed previously.
Did you find out if it was lack of vit D
I have always drank on a regular basis and probably more than I should but this is my only vice. I am not advising anyone to drink lots but I enjoy a drink and otherwise live a  fit and healthy lifestyle so this is my choice.
I am just wondering why now I have started with these symptoms
Hi, I am a female 49, and I too get the cold- like symptoms after consuming alcohol.  It used to happen only after consuming red wine, but now any type of alcohol causes the symptoms.  I read recently that it is possible that we are not allergic to the alcohol itself, but perhaps the histamine it contains.  Anything fermented (alcohol, vinegars, etc), aged (hard cheese, cured meats)  and simply foods that contain naturally high levels of histamine (coffee, tea, tomatoes, pineapples, etc.) could have an effect. (Everything I adore). This obviously is a whole different animal and needs scientific research, but it could be a start and something you can research.  
Hi there Gemaanno, well we have the same problem, every time i got drunk I got the same problem but that was before since the day i stop using any mix soda or any juice on on my alcohol, what I do is every time i take one shot I drink 3 to 4 shots of water it also help to get rid of the after taste and also try to avoid putting to much ice on your drink, you can just make it chill, I hope this also works for you, I know how it feels not to able to drink with your friends but consequence wait for us hahaha Its really hard! May the force be with you! :-)
I'm a physician and have had the same problem for the last 15 years.  Its very inconvenient, but people are correct - alcohol is actually poison to the body and affects people differently.  For example, my wife cannot drink it or will go unconscious (she lacks the enzyme to process it).  Western medicine doesn't seem to have any good explanation for why some people develop cold symptoms with alcohol.  

I can't help but wonder if I have a chronic, latent viral infection that emerges when my immune system is suppressed (such as with alcohol).  Others hypothesize that alcohol may produce an inflammatory, allergic-type reaction whereby the body may attack itself on a cellular level through the immune system.  Unfortunately, there are no known cures or easy fixes except to avoid the offending agent.  Guess we'll always be the sober drivers! ;)  BTW, thanks for posting - I've never actually known other people who suffer from this and most physicians have no idea, as this topic is not covered in medical school or residency training, as it is a little obscure and pretty rare!