Allergies - Food Community
Food allergies and lips

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Food allergies and lips

Three weeks ago, I deviated from my normal salad dressing at lunch and decided to add about a tablespoon of green Tobasco sauce to my ranch dressing.  I always eat spicy food so thought nothing of it and love the taste of green Tobasco.  That afternoon, my bottom lip (and only my bottom lip) felt a little swollen and stingy, so I kept rubbing them together (I had lipstick on, so there was some moisturizing going on as well).  By that evening I had a few blisters.  I put ice on it and it felt better.  Over the next few days they seemed to pop and the skin was raw - just as a regular blister.  However, they are still not healed three weeks later!  I have resorted to using only Caramex to keep them moist, but hey keep cracking and don't seem to be healing.  They also seem to get worse every time I eat something spicy now, which I can't tell if its just an irritant or a cause now.

I am so frustrated!  I was hoping it would go away with no need to see my doctor, but I'm afraid that's what it may come to.  I have no history of oral herpes.  My husband does, but hasn't had a break out in a year or two.  In the meantime, I'm going to keep using the Caramex and no lipstick and see if that helps over the next few days.  Also, I haven't changed anything else in my diet or beauty routine.  Anyone have any ideas what it might be?
Hello hollinator,

Based on your comments, I think maybe a visit to your family doctor may
be what is needed. You said the skin on your bottom lip is raw. The fact
that your lip hasn't healed after 3 weeks would suggest to me a visit to
a doctor is needed. It must also be very painful. I once took a medication
which made my lips so dry, the skin on my lips just came off in pieces and
it was very painful. Good luck finding out what's going on.