Allergies - Food Community
Skin problem(itchy,red and circles appear) after drinking beer for the ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Skin problem(itchy,red and circles appear) after drinking beer for the first time?

Hi, I'm 16 and I went to my friend's party on Feb 11th and that was the 1st time I drank more than 1 beer. I had 2 cans of Carlsberg, 2 cans of Strongbow and some Smirnoff vodka. I drunk from around 7-10pm and when I got home I had problems sleeping- I was very dizzy. In the past i've had 1 can of Foster, 1 can of Carlsberg and 1 glass of Budweiser so I think it was the Strongbow that triggered this. At around 3am I woke up and found out that my whole upper body was really red and tons of white circles appeared at my back. I cudn't stop itching and when I did, it got even more itchy. What was wrong with me and how can I cure it? I've taken some anti-hestamine but I still have some white circles at my back.

I'll appreciate all your help :) Thanks!
It's quite possible it's from what you had last night, and unfortunately an antihistamine doesn't get ride of hives or a reaction instantly. I'm not sure what you mean by "white circles" though-that doesn't sound like anything I've ever dealt with. I suggest you talk to a dr to make sure this isn't anything serious- I mean was there any possibility that your drink was spiked with something? Also be very careful about antihistamines as they can make you extremely drowsy -which is a bad combination with alcohol.

I strongly suggest you avoid, well all alcohol considering your age- but strongbow in particular. You might also want to be careful with other beers. Sometimes it takes a while for an allergy to be targeted by your immune system. So if you've only drank once or twice before, perhaps you are just now figuring out you're allergic to hops, brewer's yeast, or barley (which are all very common allergies). Next time you drink a beer drink it very slowly and listen to your body for changes. If you start feeling like your tongue or face is swelling, as though it's difficult to breath, or you feel extremely ill I suggest you go to the ER. I know someone who is allergic to Red wines and she reacts to it as though it's super alcohol - she gets tipsy from the smell, dizzy from a taste, and starts vomiting with a sip. Then she'll feel like she has a massive hangover and get hives within the day. What you said sounds similar so you should avoid whatever caused it- but like I said, I don't know about those white circles.
Thanks :) I highly doubt that the drinks were spiked because they were completely sealed(mulitpack cans. I also didn't get a hangover and I didn't feel any swelling, I didn't feel anything bad until 3am when I started itching but I was already at home.
I had like 3 white circles at my upper back in the past when I swam in a beach. My dermatologist said that it was skin asthma and it was due to the water not being clean. That was the only time I had white circles or spots(like polka dot) at my back however this time it was all over my back.
I agree with the above posters ..you should have that checked out if it is still there and if its' gone maybe see an allergist .. they sound like wheals (large hives) maybe from something you drank ..

but did you eat anything when you were drinking?

Maybe you were allergic to something you ate ?

C~