Alternative Therapies Community
Papilledema tiggers

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

Papilledema tiggers

Can Papilledema be triggered by MSM, D-Ribose, L-Carnitine, CoQ10, Magnesium, Flax Seed, or Chia?  I was diagnosed with Papilledema from Pseudotumor.  Recently suffered a concussion and was in the hospital for testing.  All neurological tests came back normal but intracranial pressure is high.  My sister-in-law had similar symptoms and was taking Fish Oil.  Doctors had her stop taking Fish Oil and symptoms resolved.  I have found medical cases that also point to Fish Oil as a potential cause for elevated ICP.  I was taking Flax Seed and discovered unbearable dull pain triggered about 45 minutes after ingestion.  So I stopped taking and switched to Chia (although I've not taken it daily, I've been very apprehensive).  After reading about concussions and how damage is caused at the brain cellular level when ATP is shut down and glutamate is absorbed, I want to continue with the Ribose, Carnitine, CoQ10, and Magnesium but I'm not sure what to do.  Doctors want me to stop taking everything.  Yet I've seen amazing results while taking the combination 4.
From the sources I googled, papilledema is only caused by one thing, which is intracranial swelling -- anything else and it's not called papilledema.  All sources say what follows should be your docs trying to find the cause of the swelling of the optic nerve and dealing with it.  Other things can cause similar symptoms, but they aren't papilledema, so if that is what you have, you have to find where the pressure is and deal with it.  Personally, I'd follow your docs' advice at this point and discontinue what you're taking -- that's a common piece of advice in the natural medicine community if you have symptoms that you think might be aggravated by a supplement -- stop taking it and see.  You can then reintroduce the supplements one at a time and see which one might be the culprit, or if any of them are.  On the surface, it's hard to see how any of them could cause this pressure, and since you just had a concussion, the cause seems pretty obvious, but right now you need to play it safe.  By the way, flax seeds and chia seeds are both good for digestion, but flax has many more properties than chia that are also beneficial but also medically significant -- flax oil has many of the same properties as fish oil.  CoQ10 can increase energy production in the heart and mitochondria, which can increase blood flow.  MSM is a sulphur compound, and some people have sulphur allergies, but it's also part of the body's methyation process that also helps the body produce energy.  Magnesium should be relaxing the system, so don't understand where the problem with that could be.  The ribose is a sugar and helps muscle building and so is also energy producing.  Carnitine, again, can improve blood flow and liver function, which can send more energy through the body.  Right now, with increased pressure in the brain, probably not a bad idea to see if decreasing energy flow by discontinuing these supplements on a trial basis helps.   But you still have to find the cause of the increased pressure; these supplements don't cause papilledema even if with a few people they might mimic the symptoms.