Anal and Rectal Disorders User Group
Treatment of Anal Fistula
About This Group:

I have spent a considerable amount of time in the last eight months researching pain in the anorectal area. I know from doing the research that there are many people out there with Fissures, Fistulas and assorted other problems, who are going through the same pain as I am experiencing on a daily basis. So, I thought it would be good to form a little group where we could share the problems, and what you have done or are doing to remedy things. I am not a nurse or in the medical profession, just someone going through constant pain and happy to share it!

Founded by Recondite2011 on January 31, 2011
21 members

Treatment of Anal Fistula

I have a tear in my rectum (the result of an injury). It has resulted in what has been diagnosed as an anal fistula. I have had a cetin inserted in the past. This resulted in the abcess (abscess) draining, the incision never completely closing up, further pain, and fluid again filling the abcess (abscess). A doctor told me (after an external exam), that he wants to cut into my sphincter muscle. I have read that this can cause permanent incontinence, and may not even heal the fistula. I have also read of other methods of treatment that seem to carry less risk of on-going or permanent damage. However, since I have no health insurance, no doctor (in Illinois, where I live), has been willing to consider other methods of surgery. I have even been told by one doctor that other methods are "mythical" and that cutting into my sphincter muscle is the only treatment available. Has anyone on this forum had successful treatment of a fistula? Also, I am female, and have had other complications with the fistula which makes me suspect that I may be dealing with a recto-vaginal fistula, rather than an anal fistula. The doctor I saw told me that I cannot possibly be experiencing the symptoms I explained to him! I need someone competent who won't scare the crap out of me (literally!). Other symptoms I am experiencing are fever, constant drainage, pain at the site of the incision, and pressure in my right leg (the abcess (abscess) is on the right side).
drashwinporwal joined this group
Welcome them!
Aug 14
pog23 joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 03
leah725 joined this group
Welcome them!
Jun 27