Animal Health - General Expert Forum
A lump near my dog's breast

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

A lump near my dog's breast

Hi.
I have an 8 year old miniature poodle and very recently, I found a very small lump on her breast near her nipple. The size is very small, it's the same as her nipple. I'm quite concern what is could be. She's had a lump near her nose area before and it kind of disappeared suddenly. Should I take her to the vet to be checked out?

Thank you so much.
Yes,  you should take her to her vet and have a fine needle aspirate, or a biopsy performed, especially if she has not been spayed.  Any lump near or on a mammary gland should be examined.
Dr. Cheng,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will make an appointment to the vet tomorrow. My dog is female and spayed and I have noticed the lump this past monday. The lump seems to be movable, and according to personal experience, that seems to be a good sign. Thank you for taking the time to answer me I will be sure to have my dog examined and hoping for the best. Thank you.
Hi Dr.Cheng,

I just got back from the visit with my dog's vet. At first, the vet was going to do a fine needle biopsy but since my dog was spayed when she was 4 and the lump is close to a breast area, another vet recommend that he will remove the lump instead. He said that it might be risky to do a biopsy and he was concerned it could be malignant.
My dog is scheduled to have the lump removed tomorrow morning. After the removal, he would have to send it to a pathologist to have it checked. I trust that the vet is a professional but I need a second opinion. I am very very worried and I need an advice from you. Thank you very much in advance.