Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Anaplasmosis

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Anaplasmosis

My dog just tested positive for Lyme and Anaplasmosis.  She also tested positive for this last year and she had a complete blood work up done which came back fine.  However, she was put on Doxycycline for I believe 4 weeks or so.  She didn't exhibit any signs of disease last year or this year.  My question is.  Could this year's test have come back positive because she still has traces in her system from last year?  If she isn't showing any symptoms of the disease does she need to be treated?  Confused on this since I've read a lot of vets do not treat without any symptoms.  And besides how would one know that the treatment is working if there are no symptoms?  Thanks you for your help.
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
4 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Golden Mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
March 04, 2009
This is the question of the day!  The proper routine for testing and treating Lyme disease seems to always be in a state of flux.

If you would like to find out if the Anaplasmosis and Lyme disease are new infections or Chronic infections,  more sophisticated blood and urine tests would have to be performed, such as pared titers, Western blot, PCR's on urine and blood, etc. on both the diseases.   These additional tests can be costly, and many owners do not want to spend the money.  

There is a chance that these are new infections, and even though your dog may be symptom free right now, it doesn't mean that it will remain so.  Lyme nephropathy is a deadly kidney disease and may not show up until years after exposure and infection, AND,  it is symptom free, and, the blood and urine samples are usually normal until the later stages (except the Lyme blood test is positive).

Therefore,  it is easier to treat, just in case.  Doxycycline is a safe antibiotic, except for some gastrointestinal side effects especially if given on an empty stomach.  

Doxycycline has been shown to be a adaptogenic antibiotic, and can even be used as an adjunct cancer treatment.

It might be a good idea to add a probiotic to his diet while your dog is on the doxycycline.