Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Anything I can do to stimulate Cat's appetite

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Hello.  You have previously responded to my questions regarding a suspected food allergy in my female cat.  I have finally found a food that is grain free that she will eat.  It is the Nature's Variety Salmon Meal and Brown Rice.  It has only Rice as the carbohydrate (I tried Raw Instinct and she won't touch it - as well as a couple of other flavors of the nature's variety).  I am still also feeding her just a little of the tuna based canned food that is grain free as well (I give about 1/2 can per day that both cats share).  The problem is that I have noticed she is a lot smaller than her litter mate (male) now.  They used to be about a pound different (one weighing about 11 and the male 12 - they are Siamese / Maine Coon Mixes) and now, I'd say she is a good 2 or possibly three pounds lighter than the other and thinner.  I have also noticed that she doesn't eat near as much anymore - not that she ever really ate all that much to begin with.  I have introduced the feliway diffuser for about 6 weeks now and still not much improvement in appetite.  Other for her appearance being smaller - I have not noticed any differences in behavior.  She is still friendly and outgoing and social.  I am wondering if I should worry about the weight loss - since I know what caused it in the first place - or if I should try to entice her to eat more.  If so, do you have any suggestions.

Rice is considered a grain, therefore unnecessary in a cats diet, and though rice is low on the allergenic scale some cats can still have a problem with it.  

I would try going back to the 9 Lives Tuna select since your cat had loved it, and did not vomit while eating it, and is therefore apparently not allergic to it.

However, if the 9 Lives Tuna has little or no effect on her eating or in stabilizing her weight than she will need a veterinary exam, and blood work that includes a thyroid profile, and whatever additional diagnostics your veterinarian deems necessary.  Hyperthyroidism is common in cats over four years of age and can cause weight loss despite normal appetite, and is treatable by Iodine 131 injection, or medication (Tapazole).  If all test results are within normal limits than she may need appetite stimulant such as Periactin, or a short course of steroids.

An all wet food diet is best for cats, and although raw diets have come into vogue, they must be very carefully selected and some may require additional vitamins, minerals and other nutrients such as probiotics and digestive enzymes to be totally balanced.  
Thank you.  I realize that rice is a grain - but neither one would eat the grain free food at all.  They just turned up their nose after many many attempts I made.  And, I would love to feed them the Tuna Selects Wet food exclusively - but while they love it as a "treat" they don't eat enough of it to sustain themselves.  About 1/2 can split between them is all they will eat - the rest just sits in the bowl and I end up throwing it out.  I was just hoping there would be something I could do to increase her appetite - but I'm sure it's fine given that she is still active and appears healthy and happy.