Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Blood serum drops for scratched cornea ?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Hi, My dog woke up this morning with an irritated eye. Bloodshot, squinting and slight drainage.  We took her to her Vet right away, who diagnosed a scratched cornea.
She has to wear an elizabethan collar to protect her eye. We have to put ointment in her eye and drops made from her own blood. They drew her blood and spun it and made drops of the "serum".
What does this "serum" do? It looks milky and pink.
I did a google search and it may be called autologous serum eye drops but there is no information in plain English about it.
The proteins in the serum help to "feed" the corneal cells and enhance healing. The drops are made from a dog's own blood so that they are not allergenic/don't cause any allergic reaction.
Kimberly Coyner, DVM
Dr. Coyner, Thank you for your quick response!