Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Can I give baby aspirin to my dog?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Can I give baby aspirin to my dog?
Last November my vet said my dog may be starting to get arthritis, and told me he needed to lose 10 to 15 pounds, and that should help with his pain.  So far my dog has lost 8 pounds and looks and acts better, but still acts like he's in pain when getting up off of the floor, and doesn't like going up and down the stairs.  I've been giving him a baby aspirin in the morning, and sometimes one at night, every day for the last couple of weeks, and it seems to help.  Can I continue this, or is it bad for him?  Can you recommend another pain reliever that doesn't require a prescription?
Your dog is large enough to take a coated adult human aspirin dose of 325mg twice per day.  It is great that the low dose of a baby's aspirin of only 81mg is effective, and gives you room to increase to a higher dose if the lower dose becomes ineffective.

There are no other safe over the counter analgesics.  There are over the counter herbal medications and neutraceuticals that may help, such as: Glucosamine/Chondroitin combinations, and Fish Oils containing Omega 3 Fatty acids.  Your dog is large enough to take a human doses of these supplements as is listed on the bottle.