Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Cat Dental Work
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cat Dental Work

Greetings.  Recently, I took my cats for their annual check up.  The vet told me that one of my cats needs dental work (one tooth may actually need to be pulled b/c of some gum irritation).  While I understand that dental work on cats is beneficial for their long term health, this is going to be a VERY costly procedure.  Not to mention that my kitty doesn't even seem to be in any pain.  I hate to have to put him through the process of getting his blood work done, then having him be sedated for the procedure.  What if he is in more pain afterwards than he is now (If he IS in pain now)?  My question(s):  Is this something that should be overlooked or should I get a second opinion?  I'm a very caring and loving pet owner, and I never want my cats to endure any pain or suffering for any length of time.  At the same time, I often wonder if there are certain things, like costly dental work, that can be set aside for the time being.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Monifa in NYC