Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Chinese Herbs (requested information)

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Chinese Herbs (requested information)

Dr. Cheng said:

Could you please give me more information about these Chinese or homeopathic herbal formula's?

Different herbal company's have different names for their particular herbal formula's, and I am not familiar with these specific names.  

If possible could you please list the the brand and the Pin Yin name for these herbs.  

Please post them as a new message if possible,  so that I will see more easily.

Dr.Cheng,
I don't know if this helps or not, but it is all the information i have:

Double P ll
JT Code: B2072
Lot# JT04172008
Net Wt: 100-0.2g capsules
Distributed by Dr. Xie's Jing Tang Herbal, Inc
Reddick, FL 32686

Body Sore
JT Code: B0020
Lot#...none
Net Wt: 1.3oz (36gm) 200 pills
Reddick, FL 32686

I was told one is used for regaining loss muscle mass, and the other used for regeneration of nerves.
I just wanted a second opinion about these herbs before i give them to Chynna. I'm sorry i couldn't list any ingreidents.

Nan

1.  Double P #2 is an herbal formula also known as: Da Huo Luo Dan, and is used for Inter vertebral Disk Disease and spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spine).  It should only be used in the acute phase for about 3 weeks since it can be toxic.  It is for severe pain, and is contraindicated in weak animals or pregnancy.  I have never used this formula because I always a little bit worried by the toxicity.  I would use this very cautiously.

2.  Body Sore: also known as: Shen Tong Zhu Yu Tang.  This formula is for musculoskeletal pain, soft tissue injuries and back pain.  This is a safe formula that can be used long term.  I personally use this formula all the time with very good results.  The only contraindication for this formula is pregnancy.

Dr. Cheng,
Thank you so very much for the information regarding the two particular Chinese Herbs i was inquiring about.

Nan
Is there a way to buy some of these Chines Herbal Meds? I was going to a vet here in MD that uses items like Fan Xie Ye (Dr Xie Jing Tang) but she was just too expensive & when I went to their web site, they only sell to Vet's. I also woryy that if I don't go thru a vet, I might give my dog something harmful.
Thank you, Ruthie
Dear Ruthie,

You really need to take your dog to a veterinary herbalist/acupuncturist for their expertise in choosing the correct herbal formula for your dog.  Without the vet's expertise you will be shooting in the dark.  There are literally 1000's of herbal formulas, and there could be dozens for the problem being treated.  Often the herbal formula's must be tweaked for the specific patient.

Once your vet has prescribed the herbal formula that is helping, you may be able to do a search for a specific formula online and find a site with the same herbal formula that sells to the public, but caution is advised.  Many herbal formula's that come directly from China may be contaminated with heavy metals or toxic fillers.
Hi Dr Cheng. I hope you can help me. I have a 7 year old rabbit. He has a lipoma which he did have a biopsy on a few months ago. It started off quite small and is getting large. It is currently about 7x8cm and is near his shoulder. He still hops around and acts like a normal bunny. I am doing a bit of Moxibustion on it, Dont know if you heard of this chinese herbal treatment.I dont think its worked so far. The rabbit savvy vet does not want to surgicallly remove it given the amount of health related issues he has eg seizures due to Ecuniculi. I have been reading up on Polmirex and wondering if it could be bun friendly, or if you might know of anything else I may be able to try. Aparently the surgery would be a big one as it is in or behind muscle now. Any help to help my baby boy would be very much appreciated.