Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Constant licking

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Constant licking
My beagle constantly licks. She could be in a deep sleep and her tongue will start going. The sound of her constantly adjusting her tongue (or whatever she is doing) becomes very aggravating. I am starting to be concerned that there is something going on that we are not aware of. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Is it a sign that there is something more going on that we need to look into further?
There can be many reasons for this, from boredom/habit  to a subtle seizure disorder.  The most common reason for excessive licking is itchiness from allergies.  Talk with  your veterinarian and you may likely wish to see a veterinary dermatologist for best results with least side effects if some type of allergy is indeed the underlying cause.