Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Elevatted liver enzymes

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Elevatted liver enzymes

My dog has elevated liver enzymes around 6,000. She initially showed increase thirst, inc urination, etc.
she has had several blood studies.
It has been determined that she does not have Cushing Disease.
She is not have other indications except above.  She eats well ( she is on a strict perscription diet s/d and as much water as she  wants) She does not vomit, or have weight loss.
She has not had a liver biopsy. The next step is a liver bile test.
She has us (vets) stumped as to the reason for the liver enzymes.
She has been on antibiotics for her bladder problems. She is not jaundice.
She is still very active.
Any thoughts?
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
13
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Dashound
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 12, 2010
City
:  
Montgomery
State/Province
:  
Alabama
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
Elevated Blood Emzymes- Over 6,000
X-Ray Results
:  
showed enlarged pancrease. badder stones , kidneys stones, gall bladder sludge
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I am sorry to hear about your dogs elevated liver enzymes and glad to help.

If you are able to post your dogs blood test results that would help me to help you much more specifically.

There are several pet health issues that can cause elevation of liver enzymes in dogs. The gall bladder sludge and variety of stones you indicated may certainly be part of the problem.

If you are able to post your dogs entire blood profile that would help me to offer you specific suggestions as far as possible causes of your dogs elevated liver enzymes. I could also offer relevant liver therapies.

It is important to understand that there are several possible causes of elevated liver enzymes and depending on the exact liver enzyme in question, treatment options would also vary accordingly.

Liver disease in its earliest stages rarely causes visible signs and conventional veterinary medicine has little to offer in treatment of liver disorders, consequently prevention, when possible, is the best cure. Natural liver protecting remedies are safe and effective and do not carry significant adverse side effects.

Hepatoprotection is beneficial not only for the liver but also for our dogs overall health and wellness.

Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum) is a complex bioflavonoid and acts as an antioxidant protecting liver cells (hepatocytes) from toxic insults. In addition it helps to stabilize liver cell membranes by preventing lipid peroxidation and supports liver cell or hepatocyte regeneration.

Silymarin (150-450mg per day) is appropriate for canine liver disease patients. It also reduces insulin resistance in dogs with diabetes.

The most active flavonoid in Silymarin is Silybum. Certain Silymarin products are standardized to provide a high concentration of Silybum which offers greater efficacy than typical milk thistle extracts sold as Silymarin. Standardization to 80% is recommended for maximum efficacy.

There are no contraindications nor have any potential drug interactions been reported. Adverse effects rarely include GI effects such as diarrhea and/or nausea. These are rare and transient.

SAMe, this stands for S-adenyl methionine is another natural liver therapy commonly prescribed for canine liver patients and has effective properties. An alternative to SAMe supplementation is TMG, trimethylglycine. Both should be taken on a full stomach, after meals.

Vitamin B-Complex (B1, B2, B5, B6, Folic Acid), is very important for canine liver health. Daily supplementation is recommended. Niacin, (vitamin B3) should be avoided in end stage canine patients with cirrhosis.

Zinc supplementation is indicated for end stage liver failure in dogs.

There are many useful natural pet liver therapies which can be very beneficial both for prevention and treatment of liver disease in dogs. Pet owners should always consult with their veterinarian before beginning any liver therapy protocol for their dog.

I hope this information is helpful and I am glad to help further.

Thank you,

Dr Carol Osborne, DVM