Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Excessive Itching

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Excessive Itching

On July 7, 2012 I took my fur baby to the vet for his annual shots.  He was in perfect health.  Four days later he began to scratch & lick his body excessively.  I was told that it was possibly a reaction to the shots.  As the days passed, he was scratching so much that he now had bald spots and open wounds on his muzzle, body & behind his ears.  The area around his eyes were bald and bright red, along with swollen eyes.  The tops of his feet were bald and just gross looking.  Also, he had a horrid smell to him.  On a return visit to the vet, I was told that he had fleas (he has always been treated for fleas monthly) and also he had a food allergy. All this was determined by the vet without even touching my dog (he seriously never touched him!!!!)  I KNEW he didn't have fleas but as far as the food allergy, I did was I was told and switched his food, which I did.Oh and also bought a "better" more expensive type of topical flea medicine. (the second vet said there was no evidence of fleas) Fast forward and here we are 2.5 months later, 2 different vets, 3 types of oral meds, a different flea product (bc I was told by the first vet that Frontline is junk), treatment for mites and  this poor dog is still miserable.  I feel horrible because I can't help my baby even though I am truly trying.  I'm getting tired of the process of elimination game they are playing with this.  I have also tried some home remedies early in this process(apple cider vinegar).  I just want to help my baby!!  In my heart, I feel that he contacted something from the initial vet visit simply because he was in perfect health before going in for his shots.  Just to mention, he is an inside dog.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
3 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Rott mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 31, 2012
City
:  
Francesville
State/Province
:  
IN
Country
:  
Pulaski
This is very unusual. The steps taken so far were proper ones however once I get a skin condition of this severity that is not responding to the usual treatment I recommend a skin biopsy. This sounds to me like an autoimmune disease (google pemphigus foliaceous for an example of one of these) and while they are not caused by vaccines, vaccines can trigger a response.
Your pup may be sensitive to shots; sometimes vets give multiple shots in one (at one time) which if she's sensitive to shots, this would affect her.
You want to take her to a doggie dermatologist & have her allergy tested, she may be allergic to something -- dogs with. Allergies tend to be more sensitive.