Animal Health - General Expert Forum
FIV Treatment Options

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

FIV Treatment Options

My vet fears that the FIV virus in my cat Hobo has become active.  His lymphocytes level is very low.  I've been researching possible treatments and supplements on the web.  What's the latest thinking on treatment?  I see articles on use of Interferon, Acemannan and Iodine.  All of these seem to have had some positive results in FIV cats.  Any recommendations on which of these should be tried first?

Of the products you have mentioned,  Interferon Alpha appears to have the most benefit.    Our hospital recommends Interferon Alpha for FIV positive cats in an extremely dilute form given by mouth by placing it on the pets food daily.  It is relatively inexpensive.

AZT (Retrovir) is a antiviral medication for the treatment of human HIV infection which has been shown to benefit FIV positive cats with either neurologic signs or with stomatitis (oral inflammation) or when the symptoms of viral infection appear. AZT does have side effects, but the side effects are reversible with discontinuation of therapy.  These are prescription items.

There are also holistic therapies, which are not prescription and are  available at health food stores,  such as: medicinal mushroom complexes, colostrum, immune support, Essiac tea plus available on line), decaf.white tea, and more.  You can use the human products, however,  decrease the amount to 1/8 of a human dose.  Do not use liquid products in an alcohol base!  Cats hate the taste of alcohol.  Use products in a glycerine base for cats.

First, thanks very much for your help and providing this great service!

Since I posted my original question, I've come across another medine called Lymphocyte T-Cell Immunomodulator.  Here is the web site address: http://www.imulan.com/.  From what is written there, this looks to be a very effective and exciting treatment for FIV and FeLV.  I am wondering if you are familar with this medicine and if you have had any favorable results with it?  Thanks again for your help!
Hello again!

I have viewed the Imulan site.  I was not famlier with it but I think it sounds promising.  If you do decide to use it please let me know how if it was effective.  We always need more effective tools in our medical toolbox!  Thanks and good luck!