Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Is skunk spray harmful to dogs

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Is skunk spray harmful to dogs
Tonight while I was gone, my dog got sprayed in the mouth by a skunk.  When I got home he was foaming and drooling at the mouth.  I was wondering if skunk spray was harmful to dogs?  What do I need to do as far as care for him after giving him a bath?  Will the skunk spray hurt him in any way?
It is only harmful in the allergic, immunosuppressed, and older dogs with upper respiratory problems such as COPD, but the damage is transitory.
Most of the time the chemicals in skunk spray are just plain irritating. Once in awhile a pet or person can have an allergic reaction to it. I found I can deal with one skunk at a time but didn't so well with 8 young and angry skunks that were brought in in a garbage can. My asthma flared up.

Is your dog showing any signs of allergic reaction: swelling, difficulty breathing or swallowing? If so, I do hope you've taken him to the vet by now.