Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Marley can't pee on his own

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Marley can't pee on his own

After going missing for 5 days Marley appeared on my back doorstop 6 days ago at midnight.  It must have taken him 5 days to drag himself home - after an emergency dash to the vet hospital it turns out he had multiple fractures of his hip and pelvis.  He was operated on the day after admission and the op went well.  He now has various plates and pins and he was bright, drinking and eating the same evening however he has not yet managed to pee and I can't bring him home until he has. The surgeon and vets all confirm that the bladder is in full working order and there appears to be no nerve damage.  He will not currently tolerate having his bladder squeezed (obviously really painful for him) and they have catheterised him.   His injuries would have made peeing excruciatingly painful due to his injuries and so I think he might be holding it in.  I am concerned that being in a strange place is just adding to his stress.  I am bringing him home tomorrow to have him home for half a day to see if being in his own surroundings will help him to pee but if not, I will need to take him back to the hospital.  He is on pain relief and muscle relaxants.  Anyone had similar experience?  The cost is escalating.  It has been six days and we are not far short of the £3,000 mark without pet insurance.  
Type of Animal
:  
Tabby Tom
Age of Animal
:  
6 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Long hair tabby
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 24, 2012
City
:  
London
Country
:  
Wow, so sorry for Marley.
Pelvic fractures often come with neurological damage and bladder injuries so thankfully that has resolved. This may simply require time however until he heals he will need veterinary assistance. They may be able to catheterize him, empty his bladder, then send him home and assess again in 2 days. Be honest with your vet though. dont be ashamed to mention the financial concerns. You have put a lot of money and care into Marley's recovery and should not feel guilty. Perhaps there will be a few corners they can cut and find some savings.