Animal Health - General Expert Forum
My dog has been caught swallowing a couple of coins in the last couple ...

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My dog has been caught swallowing a couple of coins in the last couple of weeks.

Should I immediately take her to a vet or wait and see how she reacts. Her appetite does seem to have a declined somewhat, but she has always been a  picky eater. She is drinking her water just fine. Also, she seems to be eliminating her bowels and urinating just fine.

I haven't taken her to the local vet because she doesn't seem sck.  BUt I'm concerned about her becoming a doggie bank! lol.  Seriously when do I start to worry about impaction or something else more serious.

If if wasn't for the fact that she is still eatting, drinking, urinating, and moving her bowels, I would have already taken her to an expert; and'. on top of it all finances are extremely tight. What can I o Must I do?

Sincerely concerned,
  Shanna                        p.s. My dog Luna is the cutest, sweetest baby of all.
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
almost 2 yrs
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
full blooded black labrador
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
February 19, 2009
City
:  
Napa
State/Province
:  
Country
:  
US
Blood Test Results
:  
N?A
X-Ray Results
:  
N/A
Other pertinent test results
:  
N/A
Although obstruction is unlikely in such as large dog, the real danger in ingesting coins is zinc toxicity--as the stomach acid digests the coins (particularly pennies), zinc is absorbed into the bloodstream, causing red blood cells to be damaged and burst. The consequence is potentially life thretening anemia. Other symptoms can include vomiting or decreased appetite due to stomach irritation from the zinc, and kidney failure with high levels of zinc exposure. I recommend taking your dog in for xrays of the stomach and  labwork. If the coins are in the stomach, then they will need to be removed via surgery or endoscopy.
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD
Do you know of anywhere in my Napa valley, CA area that could help out with these tests at perhaps at decreased amount of $$, perhaps a sliding scale clinic?  We're so strapped were not even having xmas. When we got Luna Both my husband and I were working full time, but I have been laid off for over 6 mths now. We have still managed to keep her up to date with immunizations and such, but we just dont't know where we would get the money for surgery :(  We don't even have med insurance for ourselves!

Please does anyone have any suggestions. My Luna Bella is like a member of the family and we already previously lost a 7 yr old dog to incurable cancer.

Every night I sleep with Luna and she puts her head rite next to mine. We are so bonded.
I'm sorry I am not in CA and so I am unaware of a sliding scale clinic in that area, but you could try the San Francisco ASPCA: http://www.sfspca.org/veterinary-services.
You can also talk to area vets about Care Credit, which is a payment program that allows you to spread payments over time. She may not need surgery if she has already passed the coins, start with xrays and labwork.
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD
Thanks for everything

Luna gives a high five and thanks you too.  merry christmass