Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Pomeranian unable to use back legs

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Pomeranian unable to use back legs

I have a small 4 year old 3lb Pomeranian Mix that was out playing and came into the house with one hind leg hiked up. I thought that perhaps a patella was out and kept her in a crate to rest.  After about an hour I let her out again and all of all of her legs were paralyzed. She did not seem to be in pain and her temp was normal and she would eat and drink if I put food/water next to her. I massaged her legs and back to see if I could feel anything and all seemed normal. I pinched her toes and she felt it. I figured I would take her to the vet in the morning.

The next morning she was sitting up in her bed and looked normal. I put her outside to potty and she stood and then pottied and then walked back to me very slowly. I could tell she was very stiff so I picked her up and put her on her bed and called the vet. The vet said to just watch her as long as her vitals were good and she was not distressed and progressing she may have just hurt her knees (*an ongoing problem with her). Well she continued with this for a few days with not much progress. I took her to my vet and they did some routine blood work and x-rays and they could not find anything wrong. I was offered to do some more extensive testing but it was much to costly for me.

It has been about two weeks and now she does not want to stand but is still eating well and wagging her tail.  He front legs are fine and she can sit up and on occasion will stand but has almost completely lost the use of both her hind legs.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this. I am open for more testing if someone can suggest something specific as I can not afford to continue doing random test that do not show any dis-order.

Thank you.
Tags: legs, Knee
It is probably her spine.  Perhaps you should see a veterinary neurologist?  At the very least your vet should put her on pain medication and possibly a muscle relaxer.
Hello, my little chihuahua "Chyna" who is 7 and a half years old and 8 pounds had that happen to her too, and ended up having to have an operation on August 22nd at Cornell Veterinary Hospital to remove a herinated disc (C3) that was pressing on her spinal cord. My husband thought it had to do with petella luxation also because she did exactly the same thing your baby did, and in the same sequence. When we initially took her to the hospital, she could not even stand, and her front legs knuckled under. It was quite a traumatic sugery for her as routine as it's suppose to be. Until this day, she is still in ALOT of pain, and hasn't begun to walk normal again yet. She also has a pinched nerve in her little neck that's ongoing which the surgery did not correct. that did not show up on the MRI and Myleogram radiographs, so she still yelps in pain every so often if she moves the wrong way, or perhaps if i pick her up the wrong way.To make a long story short, she has been on some powerful meds every since the surgery (Gabapentin, Methocarbomol,Tramadol,Prednisolone, and a Fentanyl patch, and Bupernex when needed). In my opinion she will eventually need doggie drug rehab. My vet has now taken her completely off the prednisolone and have decreased the other meds mentioned above, and prescribed Metacam which seems to be working. She will be taking this daily for awhile or maybe for long term. Chyna is also recieving Acupuncture treatments once and week, and going to doggie rehab. 3 times a week., and YES, this has been a VERY costly ordeal, but i'd do it all over again. My friends think i'm NUTS. I do think in time she will be her ole self again.

I hope this was a bit helpful for you, and hope your baby will recover 100%.

Nan

Any feedback will be GREATLY be appreciated.
Thank you very much.

Nan  
Nan, I DON'T think your nuts!!!!! I admire you for your loyality to her!  I do want to add that you might look into giving her Milk Thistle to help her Liver filter all these chemicals...It DOES work...Good luck to you both...I hope she will be her ole self real soon!   Karla
Karla, thank you SO much for such encouraging words...it certainly means alot to me. It's hard sometimes to try and digest negative sentiments coming from people that just DON'T understand. Can you tell me where i can get Milk Thistle? So far so good with the bad side effects that can result from being the high powered meds she's been on, so i AM concerned about what it may be doing to her liver. So far, she hasn't had any "black" colored stools, nor vomited at all since the Aug.22nd surgery..i'm really amazed that she hasn't (knock on wood). She's still eating and drinking well which is a good thing.
Will be looking forward to hearing more about the Milk Thistle:+)

Nan
Nan, I'm sending you the "Liver" information (In a note) to your profile page....Let me know that you got it.......Karla
I have 2 Pekingese that had similar problems. Both were paralyzed & could not walk. They both crawled pretty good dragging their back legs. They kept me busy trying to pick them up & carry them to where they wanted to go so they didn't scrape up the legs. I was told the one would never walk unless I rushed her into surgery right away, The cost was 2000.00 back then. I could also strap wheels to her back end so she could get around. I was also given the option of putting her down.I didn't have the money for surgery & I had just lost 3 dogs to parvo & couldn't lose another one. She was not in any pain  so I thought I would think out the options. I held her back side up so she could go potty & picked her up & carried her every time she started crawling. 3 weeks later she was standing. On all 4's. She was wobbly for a while but she walked & then she ran. She's fine. The other dog. Same thing. Back legs gave out. I rubbed cool- aped on her back & laid down with her & cuddle her with a heating pad on low & placed on her back for 10  to 15 mins. She too is walking & running. Never give up to soon. If they are not in too much pain give it a little time it might heal on it's own