Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Prednisone and a high liver count?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Prednisone and a high liver count?

My dog was taking Prednisone for 2 weeks and when we took him back to the vet for a check-up, they did blood work and his liver count was up. It was 140-something before (his has always been a little higher than average) and it was now 800. He's a 12-pound Pomeranian and was taking 10mg of Prednisone everyday for 2 weeks. The vet believes the elevated liver count is from the Prednisone, especially since he was taking a lot for such a small dog. He's being weaned off of it and goes back to the vet in 2 weeks.

My dog acts fine. He's very active, not lethargic at all, eats & drinks well, hasn't been throwing up, no jaundice or anything like that. I really do think the high liver count was from all the Prednisone (when he had taken it before a few years ago, he was only taking 5mg a day for a week; this time it was 10mg a day for 2 weeks) and if it were anything more serious, he'd be pretty sick. What do you think?
His prednisone dose was very high for a small dog.  Have his liver enzymes checked again 3 weeks after he has discontinued with the prednisone.  Prednisone dosage should always be the lowest effective dose.

Prednisone can raise liver enzymes.  If the liver enzymes are still elevated after the 3 weeks off the prednisone than the cause of the elevated liver enzymes should be found, if possible.  If a cause cannot be found than adding some herbs and nutrients may help lower the elevations.  These nutriceuticals include: Milk Thistle, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Choline, and Sam-E.