Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Puffy Eyes

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Puffy Eyes

My six month old Parson Jack Russell suddenly got puffy eyes.  It started off with just one eye being puffy and with it being warm over here for a change I figured it might be allergies and since my dogs back home have them my mom gives them benedral.  Gave her a little bit and she was fine.  Eye was normal.  Then the next night her other eye was a little puffy and did the same and everything was fine.  I put her in her cage for bed and she got sick, basically threw up her medicine. Her eyes were a little puffy and red.  Laying there I thought.  I switched fabric softner and she was in my bed and I just washed her sheets.  Thinking maybe this is the cause.  She does seem to be scratching more but her face doesn't seem to be bothering her.  She doesn't try to paw at her face, there is no strange liquid coming out or sore to the touch.  We have rinsed her eyes out with plain water.  We don't even see a bite or a cut from out cat.  I really don't want to go to the vet unless absolutely necessary since she gets car sick and over here they charge an arm and a leg just to be seen.  I rather wait unless need be.  
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
6 monhts
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Parson Jack Russell
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
March 30, 2012
City
:  
Suffolk
State/Province
:  
England
Country
:  
UK
Interesting case. You mentioned the change in fabric softener and while there is a chance this is due to that, contact allergies are incredibly rare. The odds are that this is a pink eye case. Pink eye in dogs is a little different then in people, it is not highly contagious for one thing. It is always best to seek the opinion of your local vet however if you are unable then picking up some antibacterial eye drops from your local pet store will help. At the least it wont hurt.