Animal Health - General Expert Forum
SWOLLEN DOG FACE AND EYES
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

SWOLLEN DOG FACE AND EYES

MY BOXER VHAS ONE SIDE OF HER FACE SWOLLEN AND ALSO ONE SIDE OF HER MOUTH. WE TREATED THE YARD EARLIER WITH HEART YARD SPRAY AND MIRACLE GROW ODORBAN PET CONTROL.
Type of Animal
:  
DOG
Age of Animal
:  
6 MONTHS
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
BOXER
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
February 04, 2009
Related Discussions
234713_tn?1283530259
Is your puppy's face still swollen?

What Jaybay said is valid if you live in a warm climate.  In most parts of the U.S. right now in the winter the snakes and insects are hibernating.  

However, insect and snake bite are a possibility, with spiders leading the list of suspects, because your dog could have been bitten inside a house, barn or shed, as well as outside.  If you DO NOT see any wounds on her fact than snake bite is very unlikely.  Other possibilities contact dermatitis from the chemicals that you put on the lawn, especially if she lay down with the affected side on the grass.  

If she is breathing normally, benadryl will help and Jaybay did have the dose correct.  50mg of Benadryl for a 50 lb dog, however, if there is no change in the swelling in 4 hours, or if she is breathing abnormally, please seek veterinary attention.  She may need steroids, fluid therapy, and more.
3 Comments
Blank
82861_tn?1333457511
I am not the vet, but I'll guess that since the swelling is localized to one side of the face that she got stung by an insect or possibly got bitten by a snake.  Call your vet clinic now.  Most clinics have an outgoing message after hours telling you how to contact them in an emergency, or they will refer you to a veterinary ER.  

Is she breathing all right now?  Keep a sharp eye on that.  If you absolutely cannot reach a vet for advice over the phone, try plain benadryl (diphenhydramine with no decongestant or other additives) at the rate of 1 mg per pound of the dog's body weight.
Blank
my dogs face is swollen one and on the left size and her mouth on the right side she was playin with a dead bird and i took in away that was at like 11am its not 2am  she got sick like at 10 pm and her face got like this after that i dont know what to do im going to the vet as soon as i can but i really dont have the money
Blank
This Forum's Experts
234713_tn?1283530259
Aleda M Cheng, D.V.M., C.V.ABlank
American Animal Hospital
Randolph, NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity