ANIMAL HEALTH - GENERAL
FORUM
Swollen anus in kitten
by shoenatom, Sep 05, 2012
When the kitten went on solid foods his anus became swollen, red and painful.  The area behind and around the anus is what is swollen.  Was he into solids to young?  (started around 4 wks).  I applied ointment and the redness is gone as well as a lot of the swelling, however, not completely.  Is this something that some kittens may encounter during the weaning process?  Kitten is energetic, eating well and passing stool.  
Type of Animal:
Kitten
Age of Animal:
almost 7 weeks
Sex of Animal:
Male
Breed of Animal:
Himalayan
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?:
September 05, 2012
City:
Saskatoon
State/Province:
SK
Country:
Canada
Answer:
by Cliff Redford, DVMBlank, Sep 06, 2012
Great question. 4 weeks is a little young for weaning onto solid foods and I would encourage you to feed only canned fod for the next few weeks. Now I realize you may be doing that already and so assuming you are then lets talk about the lesions youre describing. Kittens with swollen rectal or anal tissue are likely suffering from a mild rectal prolapse. The ecessive pushing done to allow for a bowel movement causes a small amount of the rectal mucosa to evaginate out past the rectum. Applying a lubricating antibiotic ointment helps tremendously and as long as the kitten is still thriving and the condition is not getting worse then keep monitoring him. If it progresses then prescription medication may be needed and in very rare cases surgery. There is also a small chance that this is a congenital condition called "atresia ani" however it is unlikely.
Keep up the good work.
Cliff
Member Comments (1)