Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Yellow Lab W/ Bad Skin? please help us

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Yellow Lab W/ Bad Skin? please help us

My Yellow Lab is 8 1/2 months old, she is in very good health overall besides this, spayed, all shots, on interceptor, and IAMS puppy food / large breed (coming off gaining to much weight 78.5#)

About 2 weeks ago while i was bathing (use oatmeal shampoo) her i noticed this red area on her back, i looked farther into it almost looked like blisters? also on her neck right about where her collar sits . . so, i watched it for a few days and still not getting better, so now her hair is almost falling out, shedding like crazyand flakes all over her looks like dandruff to the unteth power... .... so - she now arches her back almost like she is in pain... the only thing really different is  i did get a "new" bag of IAMS. the proactive health <--- they changed the bag or something, but anyway she has been eating that for 2 weeks or so, (she has eaten that since a baby) now the thing is i doubt it is the food hence we have a yorkie eating the same thing and he is fine, skin wise... she is also drinking like a nut, i fill the water bowl like 5 -6 times a day, it is a large bowl too, and she chuggs the water. and then of course is peeing alot more..

WE did go to the vet, and they did lab work , all good there and are doing a cutlure on her skin ( wont know for 2 weeks), gave me shampoo, and some pills (fatty oils?) and a lotion type spay, ya a tune of 305 bucks, but i love her and it is all worth it...
so i guess my question is? what is this? is it a common issue in labs, i called the breeder and she said mom and dad never  had skin issues? huh...

please advise
There are several possibilities for her skin problems.  They include: food allergy dermatitis, or environmental allergies, mites, and other ectoparasites, ringworm (a skin fungal infection), bacterial skin infection (pyoderma), autoimmune skin disease (lupus or pemfigus), endocrine disorders (unlikely at your dog's age) and others.  

Skin problems often occur as combination problems.  Allergies could be the primary problem but there could be a secondary staph pyoderma (bacterial skin disease), or there could be mites such as scabies, or demodex.  However mites alone can cause the problems you describe.

Food allergies  can show up at 8 months of age. Dogs can become allergic to any ingredient in their present food at any time if they are allergy prone.  Discovering the cause of the allergy can be a long drawn process so it may take patience. In order to discover if your dog has food allergies you must put your dog on a novel protein food trial of food your dog has never been exposed to before, or at least find a food that contains no gluten and preferably no grains.  

In order to discover if you dog has mites a skin scraping must be performed.  Did the vet perform a skin scraping in addition to the skin culture?    

Omega 3 fatty acids acids are very important for the skin and help to decrease skin inflammation.   I think your vet is on the right tract.  But I would switch her food to either a novel protein diet, or a grain-free, holistic diet such as Evo/Inova grain free, Wellness grain free and other grain free, holistic, organic diet.