Animal Health - General Expert Forum
Young Cat on Prednisone
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Young Cat on Prednisone

Hi. I have a 1 year old cat who has been coughing for about a month. When I took her to the vet, they noticed "mild" donut shaped inflammation in a chest x-ray. They prescribed 2ml of 1mg liquid prednisone, twice a day for 7 days. I am on day 5 and just scared.

She has coughed once (which is an improvement from 3-4 times per week), gasped several times, she swallows a lot, and her sides go in and out pretty rapidly (breathing) when she is at rest. She has stopped playing and just isn't herself.

I have researched alternatives to prednisone as my mom had a cat on it for most of it's life and I don't want to do this to my own cat. I have seen references to Bach's Flower Essence therapy and acupuncture. I am planning to see a holistic vet when this round of prednisone is complete.

I am willing to try these options but would like to get an opinion on if a cat is showing these symptoms at such a young age and not responding very well to the prednisone, is this really a "mild" case? I just want to cry when she coughs and looks so pitiful.

Thanks for your help.