Animal Health - General Expert Forum
c-diff

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

c-diff

My dog was recently diagnosed with C-diff. Can animals transmit it to humans? My 6 year old daughter is on her second round of antibiotics and am worried she would be at high risk of getting it. Our pediatricians don't seem to be concerned. I know how dangerous c-diff can be. Please send any information possible. Our vet said they don't know wether it could be transmitted to humans or not.
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
5 months
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Maltipoo
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 09, 2012
City
:  
West Chester
State/Province
:  
Ohio
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
C-diff
Animals that contain high levels of C-difficile can shed it in their saliva and fur and therefore can transmit it to humans. I would recommend extra caution when allowing your child to handle the dog and every member of the family should wash their hands after playing with him/her. Generally it is not a concern as long as the persons immune system is functioning well however extra vigilance with respect to hygiene is a good idea. continue to interact with your dog, play with it, give him/her a good scratch behind the ears, but wash up afterwards. Once everyone is feeling better then all is good.