Animal Health - General Expert Forum
c-diff
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

c-diff

My dog was recently diagnosed with C-diff. Can animals transmit it to humans? My 6 year old daughter is on her second round of antibiotics and am worried she would be at high risk of getting it. Our pediatricians don't seem to be concerned. I know how dangerous c-diff can be. Please send any information possible. Our vet said they don't know wether it could be transmitted to humans or not.
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
5 months
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
Maltipoo
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 09, 2012
City
:  
West Chester
State/Province
:  
Ohio
Country
:  
USA
Blood Test Results
:  
C-diff
2054217_tn?1330542034
Animals that contain high levels of C-difficile can shed it in their saliva and fur and therefore can transmit it to humans. I would recommend extra caution when allowing your child to handle the dog and every member of the family should wash their hands after playing with him/her. Generally it is not a concern as long as the persons immune system is functioning well however extra vigilance with respect to hygiene is a good idea. continue to interact with your dog, play with it, give him/her a good scratch behind the ears, but wash up afterwards. Once everyone is feeling better then all is good.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979