Animal Health - General Expert Forum
cat was hit by car

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

cat was hit by car

my cat was hit by a car the day before thanksgiving.. i took him to an emergency hospital. it was apparent that something was wrong with his hips or back legs but i couldnt afford any more of their services.. i took him home and hes been continually getting better.. he has not had good control of his bowels.. last night i noticed blood on his blanket and genitals... what could the problem?
Type of Animal
:  
cat
Age of Animal
:  
18 months
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
shorthair
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 22, 2010
City
:  
grafton
State/Province
:  
oh
Country
:  
usa
I am sorry about your poor cat.

This problem could be related to the injury or unrelated.  Blood from the peri-anal area or genital area could be anything from a urinary tract infection, an anal gland infection, internal parasites to something more serious.

If the trauma affected the nerves innervating his bowels it may take many months before that area returns back to normal.  Nerves only grow at a rate of 1/8 of an inch per month.  If a spinal nerves to this area were severed, feeling will never return.

I realize that there is a money concern but the problem you describe may (if unrelated to his injury) be easily and inexpensively fixed, but that will have to be determined by your vet.  So please take him to your vet with a fresh fecal sample and urine sample if possible.

Care Credit is a low to no-interest credit card which can be used for veterinary bills.  Please check online or at your vet's office for a Care Credit application.